Gibson Brands Forums

SG Buying recommendations: Standard, Classic or Raw Power?

rednebb

Hello, I'm interested in hearing opinions/recommendations on these SG models. Within my price range (around $800) these are the contestants: A used 2004 SG Standard Cherry (with 490R and 498T pickups I think), a used 2008 SG Classic Cherry with P-90s and a new SG Raw Power Satin Gold with '57 classic pickups. (see pics of the actual guitars). And, yeah, I know the Raw Power may not look like a "real" SG to some people, but I think it's kinda cool..

I'm shopping online, so I haven't got the chance to actually try these guitars.post-31379-098887400 1299698940_thumb.jpgpost-31379-083185700 1299699034_thumb.jpgRaw Power SG.bmp

Guest BentonC

My vote goes for the Classic. But, if you don't like P-90s, or just have to have the humbucker tone, the Standard would be the way to go...

Definitely get the SG Standard. I mean, I love the tone from P-90's, but the SG Standard is the greatest electric guitar ever. You can actually control glaciers, and migratory patterns of birds with that guitar if you practice enough. Ok, not really, but get the SG Standard!

Ok, the Standard is apparently in the lead here.. For the record, I love P90s, that's why I put the Classic on the list ;-) But noone has mentioned the Raw Power..? What about the '57 classic humbuckers on the Raw Power compared to the 490R and 498T on the Standard for instance?

then, in that case, i would go with the standard and put the classics in them.

nothing against the raw power, but it is kind of a different guitar. the standard is a classic guitar by any standards (that just kinda came out that way..no pun intended, but it's true).

if, however, you played both, or all 3, and found a preference, either choice is respectable.

I have owned a special for 40 years and like the P90s in it. I was looking for a HB SG. I had purchased an Epi G400 to leave at my vacation home, and I liked it so much I decided to get a Gibby HB SG. I looked at just about every SG Gibby had to offer and I chose the Standard. I picked up a mint 2004 and I just love that guitar.

I have a lot of Gibson guitars with the 490/498 combo, and I really do like them. I have BB in an LP, and PAFs in my 335, but the SG just feels, sounds and plays so sweet. I would definitely go with the Heritage Cherry SG Standard.

you can't go wrong with any of these three... tough choice as they are all vastly different. hopefully you like the P-90 sound.

a few questions:

where did you find the Raw Power for $800?

is that the absolute cheapest Standard you found? $800 is on the low end of the price range for a used one.

best of luck on your incoming purchase... looking forward to seeing pics of her!

you can't go wrong with any of these three... tough choice as they are all vastly different. hopefully you like the P-90 sound.

a few questions:

where did you find the Raw Power for $800?

is that the absolute cheapest Standard you found? $800 is on the low end of the price range for a used one.

best of luck on your incoming purchase... looking forward to seeing pics of her!

Thanks!

I think I must have calculated the exchange rates wrong, they were more like $900-1000 actually.. They sell the Raw Power new for £599 (approx. $900) on www.dv247.com (UK).

I got the Classic on ebay for $811, but with shipping and taxes to Norway it will probably be around $1100 in the end..

Archived