Gibson Brands Forums

Finally! I but a Bigsby on the Dot.

Sancho Panza

BTW, if you start having string problems, you may want to consider a roller bridge.

I have one on a 1970s SG clone that doesn't even have any sort of whammy control and it sounds marvelous and works well for alternate tunings, etc. - as in, I wouldn't mind it being a "robot" but, of course, nobody thought that possible 40 years ago.

On floating bridge guitars I have a hunch that a roller bridge may help keep the bridge from floating where you don't want it to go if there's a whammy of some sort attached. String choices obviously have an effect there, too.

m

What year is that? The burst looks nice

Thanks. The finish is VSB (Vintage Sunburst). A lot fancier than I normally like, but I got her for a steal so I don't complain.

The year is '96, I think. Will have to look at the serial number again. I do know it is a mid/late nineties, made in Korea Sheraton.

Thanks. The finish is VSB (Vintage Sunburst). A lot fancier than I normally like, but I got her for a steal so I don't complain.

The year is '96, I think. Will have to look at the serial number again. I do know it is a mid/late nineties, made in Korea Sheraton.

It's a really subtle burst which I love. Have you seen any of the recent bursts on the new ones? YUCK

It's a really subtle burst which I love. Have you seen any of the recent bursts on the new ones? YUCK

I always liked the blond ones myself. Had the unpleaseure (is that a word?) of playing a recent Chinese made Sheraton. What a world of difference; and not in a good way. And yes, the burst was ugly.

BTW, if you start having string problems, you may want to consider a roller bridge.

+1 on this. I found it hurt my sustain just barely on my Lifeson but it improved the tuning SO much that it was a no brainer to keep it. Of course mine was with the Maestro not the Bigsby but if you start having "BINK" string slippage probably moreso on the center strings as you bend or tremolo even though your bridge is adequately lubed, roller is the only way to go.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Locking_Roller_Bridge.html?tab=Pictures#details

enjoy,

+1 on this. I found it hurt my sustain just barely on my Lifeson but it improved the tuning SO much that it was a no brainer to keep it. Of course mine was with the Maestro not the Bigsby but if you start having "BINK" string slippage probably moreso on the center strings as you bend or tremolo even though your bridge is adequately lubed, roller is the only way to go.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Locking_Roller_Bridge.html?tab=Pictures#details

enjoy,

I've never had tuning problems with my Bigsbys. I do use Sperzel Trim-Loks and lube my bone nuts with Big Bends Nut Sauce. Not sure how true it is, but more than a few guitar techs have told me roller bridges end up corroding a locking up anyway. At least for a sweat bucket like me they would.

Sancho & Evol, those look sweet. I'd be nervous as hell to put one on one of my guitars. Nice work.

Thanks.

It's OK. They are Epiphones. Mine has been mod'd to the hilt. The only things original are the wood, bridge, and pots. The nice thing about Dots and Sheratons is that they have a solid block through the middle like an ES-335. That makes Bigsby mounting a snap.

Dunno about roller bridge problems as you mentioned "rusting."

Mine's been through some wars and is over 35 years old and could darned near pass for new.

Of course, on a Guild of that era, the hardware was pretty decent stuff. It's also before people started having to mess with add-on nuts or clamp-down mechanisms in an effort to hold tune.

m

Archived