Gibson Brands Forums

japan just got hit hard

stein

just heard, in the top 7 in recorded history? not sure, but 8.9 is very big.

just a perspective, when they talk about the "big one" here in the us, they guess about and 8 or an 8.5

of corse, location matters, but this one was only 80 miles off.

the other thing is that we don't know what kind of effects this will have as far as sunamis and aftershocks. we just don't get these very often.

one thing is sure, for japan, it is going to be very rough times in addition to any fatalities.

Best wishes for everyone there.

As has been said, 8.9 really is massive.

My brother's eldest daughter is living in Japan where she works as an English teacher. There's been no news so 'fingers crossed' on that score.

P.

Unfortunately, there could very soon be more - March 19 'Supermoon' may trigger natural disasters

"On March 19, the moon will swing around Earth more closely than it has in the past 18 years, lighting up the night sky from just 221,567 miles (356,577 kilometers) away. On top of that, it will be full. And one astrologer believes it could inflict massive damage on the planet."

463876main_LRO_farside.jpg?1294440831.jpg

Unfortunately, there could very soon be more - March 19 'Supermoon' may trigger natural disasters

"On March 19, the moon will swing around Earth more closely than it has in the past 18 years, lighting up the night sky from just 221,567 miles (356,577 kilometers) away. On top of that, it will be full. And one astrologer believes it could inflict massive damage on the planet."

You ain't kidding. Spooky, supernatural stuff or not, the moon's gravity ain't nothing to take lightly. Especially that close.

just saw more on the reports of other quakes and after shocks..one a 6.1 (in the mountain?) closer to tokyo, supposedly a different fault line altogether.

besides the fires, just heard also japan planning on releasing radiation vapor fron nuclear plant to avoid a meltdown.

considering quakes are still happening, combined with the damage already in progress, the are still in the midst of the event: this one is not just a quake that happens then its over (not that any are) and they are still getting damage as we type.

when something like this happens, it makes me have a much different perspective on what can happen to poeple, a natural disaster no one can control compared to the wars we start and what we do to each other on a daily basis.

As long as the human race will move on im fine with it, death is apart of life.

They've got a nucular reactor problem. One has a cooling system failure. Earlier today, they evacuated the town near by and will or have released some 'mildly radioactive' vapor to bring the reactor tower pressure down.

But it's all good, it'll just drift out over the ocean..... Wait aminit.... WE are down wind of that burp.! [scared]

A ship carrying 100 people is missing and unaccounted for.

Two passenger trains which traverse near the coast...... are missing. [crying]

At least 4 people on the West Coast of the United States are listed as casualties. Other than Japan, no other casualty numbers have come to light.... but it's still early.

They've got a nucular reactor problem. One has a cooling system failure. Earlier today, they evacuated the town near by and will or have released some 'mildly radioactive' vapor to bring the reactor tower pressure down.

But it's all good, it'll just drift out over the ocean..... Wait aminit.... WE are down wind of that burp.! [scared]

i didn't think of that. Guess which west coast city sits on the jet stream the most often?

I have no reason to be upset..if anyone has a right to have nuclear power, it is Japan. Payback is a *****. I lost my hair anyway, so i'ts all good.

Apparently, there are vast areas of the island of Japan which are still under water and the water has receded as much as it ever will. Bottom line, areas of Japan have subsided to the point they are now below sea level. The maps of Japan will have to be amended.!

Apparently, there are vast areas of the island of Japan which are still under water and the water has receded as much as it ever will. Bottom line, areas of Japan have subsided to the point they are now below sea level. The maps of Japan will have to be amended.!

wow. i guess when you get an 8.9, you just have to plan on redrawing some maps.

My colleague is on sabbatical in the center of Sendai city. We heard from her this morning. Fortunately she is away from the coast. She said the destruction is horrendous. They are cut off from electricity, water and gas, but managed to get some snacks and water today. They are now in a designated neighborhood refuge place to stay warm, which is her son's elementary school.

My colleague is on sabbatical in the center of Sendai city. We heard from her this morning. Fortunately she is away from the coast. She said the destruction is horrendous. They are cut off from electricity, water and gas, but managed to get some snacks and water today. They are now in a designated neighborhood refuge place to stay warm, which is her son's elementary school.

That is good news. I bet she will have stories to tell for some time. I still hope she is ok from all this.

Archived