Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special Club!

insanityVSchaos

There's one thing that I meant to add but I neglected to: there's a new signature Les Paul out from somebody I've never heard of (imagine that) and he was saying that it takes a good seven years for a guitar to really come into it's own.

I may not know who he is but I agree with that statement. I'm not quite sure what happens over time but the guitars do seem to change and go from being "a guitar" to "wow, that's really quite something". This Special is still only a few years old but I expect it to improve with age.

On the other hand, I think I was in better shape seven years ago...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's my 1992 Les Paul Special, which I purchased new at Victor Litz Music in Gaithersburg, MD-I think it was on sale for $499 w/gig bag! Nobody wanted that ugly TV Yellow-ish finish! It has been one of my main weapons in the DC area bar-band wars ever since! I replaced the P100s with a SD Antiquity in the neck, and a Rio Grande BluesBar in the bridge. They both came (used) with creme covers, i left them on there for that Freddie King vibe. This era of Gibson (late 80's to mid-90's)was a second Golden Era IMHO.

165172_10150131215938126_944084_n.jpg?lvh=1

165172_10150131215943126_5397325_n.jpg?lvh=1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my 1992 Les Paul Special...I think it was on sale for $499 w/gig bag! Nobody wanted that ugly TV Yellow-ish finish! ...replaced the P100s with a SD Antiquity in the neck, and a Rio Grande BluesBar in the bridge. They both came (used) with creme covers...This era of Gibson (late 80's to mid-90's)was a second Golden Era IMHO.

Hey, twintwelve, you have one of the nicest LPSpecials I've seen, TV yellow with creme pups! Gotta go change my pants [wink]

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, these things are totally addicting!!!

Went to the shop today to put some more cash on the Sonex I've got on layaway and they have a Special in that dark wine red with two humbuckers and the flat LP style pickguard.............NOT FAIR!

Looked at an early 80's LP Custom, a 2011 Standard, and then came around that corner and saw that Special hanging there.......now granted, it was much cheaper than the others, but still Beautiful!!!!

I hate to say it as my GAS is totally out of control, but if it's still there in a couple weeks when I pick up the sonex, it will be my next one on layaway......lol.

NHTom

• 3 weeks later...

Just got myself a 2012 Les Paul Junior Special online used at GC. The website didn't have a really clear pic of the actual guitar. The price was just too good to pass up. When it arrived, I was surprised that it didn't have neck binding. I was under the impression that all 2012s had neck binding. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the one I have. I'm just curious why mine didn't come with the binding. Opinions or thoughts?

I will post pics as soon as I can. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My entry into the club... a '98 special with humbuckers...

Are there any webpages dedicated to this model, or is this it? There is plenty out there on the P90 versions with pick guards and single and double cuts, but not a whole lot on this beautiful beast...

MyGibsonLesPaulSpecial1998Humbuckers04_zps9d43f087.jpg

MyGibsonLesPaulSpecial1998Humbuckers05_zps35997d73.jpg

MyGibsonLesPaulSpecial1998Humbuckers02_zps5fc7a239.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Are there any webpages dedicated to this model, or is this it? There is plenty out there on the P90 versions with pick guards and single and double cuts, but not a whole lot on this beautiful beast...

What a beatiful black Special! That is great.

What a beatiful black Special! That is great.

• 2 months later...

I bought an LPJ, and I was all excited about joining the Junior Club. Apparently I don't qualify. Since I have a carved Maple top and two pickups I don't have a real Junior, so now I have to buy another REAL Junior instead of an LPJ. In the mean time, can I please join the Special Club? It really sucks if I can't. I'm starting to think that I have to go to Misfit Island.9302D5D9-D88E-4AEC-948F-DCDBEA6F75D9.jpg

5D12306F-5B2F-49B3-A16B-B821233D1390.jpg

I bought an LPJ, and I was all excited about joining the Junior Club. Apparently I don't qualify. Since I have a carved Maple top and two pickups I don't have a real Junior, so now I have to buy another REAL Junior instead of an LPJ. In the mean time, can I please join the Special Club? It really sucks if I can't. I'm starting to think that I have to go to Misfit Island.

Hi Ajay, there's a thread pinned on at the top this forum with links to all the various LP clubs.

Good news is that whilst your LPJ is not really like a special (P90's, flat top) I reckon it is discontinued and I see there is a specific club for discontinued models - if so you can certainly avoid Misfit Island!

Hi-

Just picked up this one...a Les Paul Junior Special P90 tobacco gloss (hope it qualifies). Sun came out today, so I got some better pics.

lps1.jpg

lps2.jpg

lps5.jpg

-Cal

Sharp guitar you got here mud guy

4H

1397693073[/url]' post='1510463']

Here she is......

2001 LP Special in natural mahogany.....

Marge3_zps118b9e25.jpg

Marge4_zps169dcba9.jpg

Just got home and loving it all ready!

NHTom

1410732852[/url]' post='1564369']

Ok,

Latest addition........

2012 Gibson Les Paul Special Pro....

2012GibsonLesPaulSpecialPro_zps10f6217c.jpg

These were a GC only model. 490R neck HB3 in the bridge, both with coil split. 60's Neck Mahogany with gloss nitro.

Very light.

NHTom

The Brown Special needs a football shaped aluminum Toggle Switch Washer and an aluminum Pickguard and You have Bob Marley's guitar. They are beautiful, simplistic works of guitar art. I want 3 of every color. GAS is creeping up on me. I've made three guitar trades in the last month. My wife doesn't understand that I'm not adding to my collection, I'm simply rearranging it. I tried to tell her that true GAS means that You add numbers of guitars to Your collection, She's not understanding the rearrange thing. I told her, if You could trade shoes without losing money on them, that would be rearranging. If You go out and buy five pairs of shoes, that would be SAS. I think she understands it a bit better now. (I think!)

I have to join THIS club! All of these beautiful unsung heroes deserve a special place in the hearts of true Gibson lovers. The simplistic beauty of these guitars makes them unmatched by anything other than the guitars that Les wanted to put into the hands of mechanics, factory workers, and college kids. I have more fun looking at these beauties than all of the super flame tops out there. It's true that the fancy Gibsons are awesome works of art, but only the faded 58's, 59's, and 60's grab me as these Juniors and Specials do. This is really a great thread. The axes on display here are workhorses, and a guitar that is a musician's tool is a worthy part of Gibson lore. It's funny, but I don't think that I've seen any Chibsons with simple lines and flat tops. I wonder why?

9C38138A-4443-486B-B17F-EF3C45B0EB56.jpg

Archived