Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special Club!

insanityVSchaos

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been following this Bosco-Pippy discussion closely and it's a great example of why we have this LPSpecial Club. Any of us can come back to this thread anytime down the road for esoteric but well-documented information.

Thanks, Bosco and Pippy, for helping all of us.

Cheers,

Vestapol

This Gibson LPSpecial is now...ironically as a reissue of the 1955 model...a vintage guitar. I'm no expert, Bosco, but it's a beauty and if it plays as good as it looks? For $1000 USD...including the Hard Shell Case?...it looks like you'd be getting a pretty good deal.

I'd grab it and celebrate.

Doug

I know this mat be a subjective question but how slim is the slim taper neck on a 1977-55 les Paul Special? Is it as slim as the

Ibanez Wizard type necks? I think those were in the .700" to .800" range. That would be too thin for me. Anyone know the neck thickness specs?

A quick tip to help ya come to yer decision, Bosco... [smile]

Cover yourself. Make sure there's some reasonable return policy. If after two days you have a concern, get it checked by an experienced, highly regarded tech. (Assuming you can't do this before you buy...?) Then you could get an easy repair or document why you have to return it.

It's always a bit of a risk. Best you can do is be prepared & flexible, my friend.

Cheers,

Hello all,

I hope someone will be able to provide me with some information regarding a 1977 Gibson Les Paul Special 1955 reissue guitar that I'm considering on purchasing. I was doing some research on the original1950s Les Paul Specials and came across an article regarding the changes of the Les Paul Special during the 1950s. I have some concerns about a couple structural issues. The issues were addressed in the next year (or few years later) but I don't know if they would have been addressed in the 1977 reissue of the early 1950s Specials or not. Anyway, here is what I found out that is causing my inquiry:

1) "1956 Gibson Les Paul Special guitar specs Threaded inserts sunk in the wood for the studs on the wrap around stud tailpiece increased in length. This modification stops the studs from "leaning forward". This was a common problem on 1954 and 1955 Les Pauls."

2) "late-1959/1960 Gibson Les Paul Special guitar specs:"Les Paul Special" removed from peghead and left blank, but still often called

a "Les Paul Special" due to the thick slab body style associated with the LP Special. Neck pickup moved towards bridge 1/2" to make neck joint stronger (a *much* needed and desirable change, as the neck joint on prior LP Specials is very weak).

So my question is does anyone know if the 1977 Les Paul Special 1955 reissue would have replicated the 1955 Special exactly including the issues stated above or would they have been corrected in the 1977 reissue? Or is that what a reissue is, an exact replication of an earlier guitar model?

I like the guitar but I'm just starting to get interested in Gibson and don't know if those issues are a real concern or not. I'm also thinking that if there aren't any issues with this particular guitar after 36 years then maybe there should not be a concern, but I don't know if those issues can develop even after that length of time.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I just checked the serial number on this guitar and it looks like the seller was mistaken in his advertisement. Its actually a 1978 not a 1977. Any differences from a 1977 to a 1978 reissue of the 1955 Les Paul Special? Is one more desirable other than the 1978 being one less year vintage?

I just checked the serial number on this guitar and it looks like the seller was mistaken in his advertisement. Its actually a 1978 not a 1977. Any differences from a 1977 to a 1978 reissue of the 1955 Les Paul Special? Is one more desirable other than the 1978 being one less year vintage?

No offense bro, but it's a 70's Special, it isn't a diamond. Yer research so far has cost far more than you'll ever get outta that thing. In the end it's either a brick or it isn't, the year doesn't matter. Go try it, if it's a good one, if the price is decent, buy it. How much does he want for it is a good question I don't see anyone asking, or I missed it.

rct

No, the neck will be nowhere near as slim as the Ibanez wand necks.

Yes, rct. The asking price is $1k which surely makes it worth a punt!

P.

eh. My advice would be if you have to painfully agonize over neck tenons and stud depth and such you should be spending your grand on a new guitar, or something else maybe. It just isn't worth it to be honest, it is only a guitar, an old one at that.

rct

eh. My advice would be if you have to painfully agonize over neck tenons and stud depth and such you should be spending your grand on a new guitar, or something else maybe. It just isn't worth it to be honest, it is only a guitar, an old one at that.

rct

I know what ya mean, RCT. I get paralysis by analysis, especially about new, complex stuff. I have to see the parts and how they connect before my anxiety goes down and I can pull the trigger. All the research is worth it to me. Just how I am...

This obsessive process works best for me when I have a few trusted people coaching me along. They can even tell me I've done enough homework and I need to make my decision one way or the other.

So, I support Bosco's process to get every question answered. And agree with you, that he's probably got the data he needs to buy this vintage axe or to go for a perfect new one with a warranty. I bet when he plays it he'll know whether to buy it or not.

Cheers,

I say don't get caught up in buying a older model because it's old. This whole vintage craze is not only 99% internet BS, but people are now buying guitars that are somewhat old that are mediocre or outright junk. I've been playing and owning tons of guitars since about 1970 and today they are making them far better than even 20 years ago. Look at the post i made a while back where i posted a shot of the P90 LP special i recently got. I'm not easy to please, trust me on this. I'm a tone hound to a sick degree, and i am not easily pleased. That guitar i posted a pic of is the first gibson i have been able to bond with in all my years, being a fender man nearly forever who's always bought a sold gibsons quickly because i just could not bond.

Trust me, you can go buy a older one from the 70's or 80's but it's not going to be an advantage to do so and very likely not nearly as good as a new special. There are no words i can think of to describe my '11 special without using the word perfect, but i don't like using that word to describe any guitar. This one tho i honestly cannot find a fault. It's just a tone monster with about as low an action as you could ever find w/o buzzing. The neck is heavenly, it's just an amazing guitar. And since i got it we've been having some serious weather going from normal to very hot and humid, and the neck hasn't moved even slightly. Writing a newer model off is foolish IMO. They are making the best guitars today that they ever have. Old wood can be good, but it's also a crap shoot. I seriously doubt you could buy the same model i have and not find it superior to a 70's or 80's model. The quality is not only great but consistency is better than ever. I have other guitars i just love, but i cannot put this '11 special down and i believe it will become my #1 (actually it IS at this point, and i think it will remain) which before this was unimaginable being the rabid fender man i have been for decades.

Well just to update, the seller sold the Les Paul Special today. I was unable to strike a deal since I would have had to wait until

Sunday or Monday in order to get some time to go see it due to work and a 3 hour drive.

Thank you to all who have responded. I sincerely appreciate the valuable information that I received from this thread and input from all who have replied to my inquiry. I am now better informed because of you.

God bless to you all.

Bosco

Sorry, Bosco. Bummer. But now you can pick out a brand new one in the color of your choice (which without a doubt should be TV yellow), with a warranty, and save a few hundred dollars...

Man, you win!...:rolleyes:[smile][thumbup]

Here's a link to an interesting review. They say the former head of Gibson's Custom Shop is now building guitars, The Giffin Vitka, comparable to the LPSpecial:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/14624/giffin-vikta/?utm_source=Vintage+Guitar%2C+Inc.+List&utm_campaign=c614587d47-VGOD028_09_5_2013&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_2310eb0f86-c614587d47-234976453

• 3 months later...

Love seeing all the Specials on here. I just got another one yesterday. It is a Satin Cherry 2012 Junior Special with the baked brown maple fingerboard. It sounds great with the P-90s. It has a very alive brighter tone than my Special SL. Here are some shots:

DSC02096_zps46d47a46.jpg

DSC02097_zps78b4bac3.jpg

DSC02098_zps2be7f28d.jpg

Love seeing all the Specials on here. I just got another one yesterday. It is a Satin Cherry 2012 Junior Special with the baked brown maple fingerboard. It sounds great with the P-90s. It has a very alive brighter tone than my Special SL.

Congratulations, JAC. As an advanced member, you're not new to Gibsons so it's especially good to hear your pleasure with LPSpecials.

These days, make & model don't necessarily guarantee the quality you might expect. Some LPSpecials will be better than others and you found one with a bright, alive tone you really dig. In general I think we're onto one of the best Gibson models, in this sense: if there was an objective quality-to-price ratio, the LPSpecial might be at the top of the list. The bonus with this axe is the understated, old-school aesthetics are so beautiful.

So enjoy you're satin cherry, JAC!

I totally agree Vestapol! I think I got lucky on this newest Special I got. I just changed the strings two days ago. I had broke a high E on it. With new strings it has even more mojo to the tone. The first time I really heard P90s was when I saw this young guy play his through a NOS Blues Junior and, I said Wow! I enjoy the tone of a P90 but, the baked maple neck gives it a nice extra bright snap to the tone. P90s are new to me now so I'm still in the honeymoon stage with them right now. I still have a very strong appreciation for many different types of humbuckers. I really like Burst Bucker Pros. They are probably my favorite Gibson humbucker right now. As you probably know, there are some great after market humbuckers out there as well. We have many decent choices these days which is a good thing. I appreciate your enthusiasm for Les Paul Specials. You know I'm a fan.

post-54342-012533300 1388950048_thumb.jpgAwesome LP Specials! I got gas for a slab top LP and saw this one at GC a couple of weeks ago. It's a 2011 and was on sale, so......Anyway, it sounds great as is, but I found a pair of 1956 LP Soapbar P-90's as well as a new replacement 56 wiring harness so I'm going to drop them in and see what happens! Looking forward to being blown away......Hope I'm not disappointed! Thanks for starting this topic.

• 1 month later...

lp002_zpsc4bbf54e.jpg

lp006_zps0ad28d9e.jpg

lp003_zpsad47aad8.jpg

Here's my new one, a 2011 TV Yellow Les Paul Special with an ebony fret board. I wasn't planning on buying one but the ebony pushed me over the edge. They evidently did a short run of ebony boards and this has been verified with Gibson plus it has a brown streak or two in it from their Grade B stock, I believe.

The neck on this one is just perfect as it's slim, fast and the action is really, really low. I'm still learning what this guitar likes but a soft touch seems to bring out the best in it.

I had to sell my SG Classic in order to buy this one and while the SG sounded better with more of a Roy Buchanon sound to it on the bridge pick up, this Les Paul is a better instrument.

The only draw back I can find is that Gibson is skipping a step on the frets and is leaving the edges sharp. I spent some time with some 600 grit sand paper and have got them flush with the sides of the fret board but I still need to get the top sides of the frets smooth. Slow but sure.

Other than that, this is just what I wanted - a small, light (8 pounds, 10 oz) guitar which plays really easily and sounds pretty darned good.

This appears to be a gloss finish and not one of the satins or faded series. I'm the second owner and it's in just about perfect shape.

I just HAD to have it but I did ask for first dibbs on my old SG Classic just in case it should ever resurface on the market!

Archived