Gibson Brands Forums

Just purchased an Attenuator for my amp

duane v

So you finally got that bad-*** amp duane..? I've been looking alot at that amp, and am very impressed...I've always wanted a Mesa Triple Rec or an Orange Rockerverb 100, but this blows it out if the water...Can you share your opinion?

So you finally got that bad-*** amp duane..? I've been looking alot at that amp, and am very impressed...I've always wanted a Mesa Triple Rec or an Orange Rockerverb 100, but this blows it out if the water...Can you share your opinion?

The Dirty Boy is a BIG BOY amp no doubt. I've been looking for an amp for two years that worked as well if not better than my two 81 MesaBoogie MarkIIB heads. I was running two MesaBoogie MarkIV out of four 4x12 cabs in the late 1980's, but it never quite lived up to the Boogie B-heads.

During the two year search, and I tried Orange (sounded awful to me).... Green Amps (again to me sounded awful). Even the new Boogies didnt hit home with me..... Marshalls I just don't like unless they are the vintage plexis, but people are asking a ton of $$$$$ for those.... I almost purchased a Soldano Amp, but when I tried a Mojave AmpWorks SideWinder, I was hooked, and when they released the Dirty Boy I knew that was the amp.

The DirtyBoy name is a bit deceiving because it has great clean tones and nails that classic plexi.... It really nails that early George Lynch and EVH tone, and does a great job of nailing that Neal Schon warmth as well. IMO for the price and the service, it one of the best amp choice you can make [thumbup]

Wh00t the hell?

That's insane :blink:

Maybe it will be cheaper to get a new amp if that ever needs to be repaired [lol]

I'd rather pay the repair cost [biggrin] ..... I've been looking for a heavy hitting amp since selling my two MesaBoogie MarkII-B heads back in 1986 (one of the dummest thing I've ever done) [cursing] ....

I'd rather pay the repair cost [biggrin] ..... I've been looking for a heavy hitting amp since selling my two MesaBoogie MarkII-B heads back in 1986 (one of the dummest thing I've ever done) [cursing] ....

Have you posted any clips yet? I wants hear man! I wants hear!

And yah I was kidding, but jeez, 5 transf00rmers?

Have you posted any clips yet? I wants hear man! I wants hear!

And yah I was kidding, but jeez, 5 transf00rmers?

I'm working on five tunes at the moment, but since they are original material, I probably wont be posting these. However I will post some guitar lick stuff at some point next week.

As for the transf00mer deal, ya I'll admit this amp is definitely not for your beginner player [biggrin].... Four weeks later and I'm still learning the darn amp,

what is your current set-up???

Sorry, just saw this. I have a Carvin Legacy that I don't play too much because it's unreal load. It does have a master volume, but it's just not the same playing it at low volumes. The attenuator is a bit pricey, but it's one more thing on the wish list!!

i thought the dirty boy had a built-in attenuator on the front panel....?? [confused]

A variac lowers or raises the voltage

A attenuator is basically a volume knob between your amps power section and your speaker. It allows you to crank your amp on 10 to get all the harmonics and distortion without blowing your speaker or scaring the hell out of you neighbors.

I need an attenuator between the speaker cab and the head so that I can set the variac above 40%. That is where the tube sweet spot begins. And with the variac set at 40%, the amp volume rattles the whole house [biggrin] ...

dv7.jpg

I need an attenuater between the speaker cab and the head so that I can set the variac above 40%. That is where the tube sweet spot begins. And with the variac set at 40%, the amp volume rattles the whole house [biggrin] ...

dv7.jpg

You look like an 8 year old on Christmas morning!

That amp must be gorgeous sounding [thumbup]

You look like an 8 year old on Christmas morning!

That amp must be gorgeous sounding [thumbup]

Actually more like a mature 10 year old [biggrin] (if there is such a thing).

That amp sounds just phenomenal....The best $3700 I've spent [thumbup]

Actually more like a mature 10 year old [biggrin] (if there is such a thing).

That amp sounds just phenomenal....The best $3700 I've spent [thumbup]

Hell, some Boogies are etching up towards the 3k mark, and especially if you get the custom box for it... all in all, not too bad for a handmade amp

Archived