Gibson Brands Forums

Duesenberg Les Trem II

rednebb

I've got a couple of Les Trems of a different design. The one you're looking at is more like a Stetsbar. The one I have is more like a Maestro.

They're great as a traditional tremolo - no dive bombing. Use some lube on your nut and saddles (I installed roller saddles). Big Bends Nut Sauce. MF has it for $10 - http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Big-Bends-Lil-Luber-Ultra-Nut-Sauce-Applicator?sku=421531

The model I use has the closed anchor screw loops so it won't slip off when the strings are removed.

AAAADHg8digAAAAAADmU0g.jpg?v=1236664532000.jpg

LPflametopsm.jpg

LPPTLesTremRollerBridge.jpg

EpiLPU2-2.jpg

Ok, they look very nice on your Les Pauls!

I've seen this model that you have but what I don't like about it is that the spring rests on the body itself, and I guess it will scratch up the body? The Les Trem II model has a different spring arrangement that doesn't touch the body, so that seems like a plus. Did you change your saddles only or the whole bridge, and what type saddles/bridge are they?

And how is the action of the Les Trem, can you compare it with a traditional Bigsy?

There's a felt pad that goes under the spring bushing. But yes, the II version is wiser design of the spring.

The Bigsby action is better and it's also a better tremolo. But then you have a much larger apparatus/footprint. And that's reason I chose the Les Trem - very small footprint. I was willing to trade off a bit on the quality for the smaller footprint. Also, in case you don't know about the Vibramate - http://www.vibramate.com/ . . (no drill or route Bigsby mount)

The bridge - actually I got a roller bridge - http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Locking_Roller_Bridge.html . . I had to ream out the bridge's anchor openings a tad.

There are others to choose from that would fit better - http://guitarheads.net/products/bridges/tuneroller.html

Ok, but does the felt pad protect the body finish good enough? (It must be very small, since it's not visible on the pictures). And when you say Bigsby is a better unit, what do you exactly mean? Does the Les Trem have a shorter range raising and lowering the pitch, and does it not stay in tune as good as a Bigsby?

Yes, I know a bout the Vibramate, and I'm considering that and the Stetsbar too, but I think both are quite big and dominating..

It's the same size as the spring's bottom bushing, so you can't see it. Seems adequate to me, but I'm not to careful about the acquistion of mojo.

As far as staying in tune, I have no problems with either one, as long as the nut is lubed (once in a while/after a string change). And the range is okay for a tremolo. However, the Les Trem is more lightly built and I tend to be thinking of that when I use it; but when I use Bigsby or Floyd, those never concern me - they're a bit more rugged. Not a slam, the Les Trem is just a smaller, lighter apparatus and there's nothing but the pressure of the spring holding it in place. The design of the II seems like it would be better in that regard.

Guest FarnsBarns

Have you looked at the stetsbar? Best term for an LP if you ask me. I do like vintage look of the Bigsby but the stetsbar is a very usable product. I like the fact that the bridge and tail piece move which helps eliminate tuning issues.

• 3 months later...

Ok, but does the felt pad protect the body finish good enough? (It must be very small, since it's not visible on the pictures). And when you say Bigsby is a better unit, what do you exactly mean? Does the Les Trem have a shorter range raising and lowering the pitch, and does it not stay in tune as good as a Bigsby?

Yes, I know a bout the Vibramate, and I'm considering that and the Stetsbar too, but I think both are quite big and dominating..

Sorry for finding this a few months late, but if you still want input? I've had an original Les Trem on my 1981 Carvin DC-150 for 30 years, still works like new and it's seen a LOT of play. It's all completely original, same spring and everything. Stays in tune just fine too! My only gripe is that you can't pull up on it as it rests on the body.

I've had a Les Trem II on a Les Paul for a few years now and it's as good as the original. You can pull up on it about a step. The back sits a little above the body giving you that little bit of pull. The back has felt pads also, so you don't dig into the body at all. Plus you learn by feel how far you can go. I thought once about having a guitar shop rout out a small groove under it, but pulling up isn't that important to me. It's nothing I can't stretch the strings for. I don't play Dimebag, sooo...

Looking at the Stetsbar, it seems a little beefier and might be better? I have a 1951 Squier Strat that I might put a Stetsbar on? It's totally built like a Tele except it has a humbucker at the bridge and single coil at the neck. So I'll have to see if the Stets fits it or not? But it has the flat bolt-on tailpiece like a Tele (and a Tele neck). I guess they didn't use Trems on 51's?

Hope this helps?

Here is the original Les Trem, although I made this one myself, but it's a direct copy off a real Les trem;

100_0568.jpg

Here is the 2008 Les Trem, I had to pull it off though because I didn't like the way it interfered with the different knob configuration;

100_0622.jpg

And here's the Stetsbar I replaced the Les Trem with. Love it too, it's equivalent to the Floyd on my Pro/FX easily;

100_0674.jpg

Since Les Trem is out of business now I'll be buying Stetsbars from now on. Eric Stets is great too. I was missing a few parts, emailed him and he fixed me right up, no problem!

• 8 years later...
On 6/19/2011 at 11:14 PM, straybeat said:

Since Les Trem is out of business now I'll be buying Stetsbars from now on. Eric Stets is great too. I was missing a few parts, emailed him and he fixed me right up, no problem!

I know this is a dead thread, but Les Trem II's never went out of business, Duesenberg is still making them...

heres a few of mine, as well as a Stetsbar...

k7aiGWg.jpg

• 1 month later...

I installed a les Trem II on my les Paul and I’m very happy w/ it. Looks good and works great, but my only gripe is case clearance. The case lid doesn’t close completely without a visual gap showing even w/ all the latches latched. Would an ES les Paul case provide the extra depth needed to close completely?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 7:43 AM, Weav said:

I installed a les Trem II on my les Paul and I’m very happy w/ it. Looks good and works great, but my only gripe is case clearance. The case lid doesn’t close completely without a visual gap showing even w/ all the latches latched. Would an ES les Paul case provide the extra depth needed to close completely?

With the Les Trem II make sure you lower the arm position with the adjustment screws and move the arm away from the bridge padding in the case..

Edited by mihcmac

• 1 month later...