Gibson Brands Forums

Nurses, Doctors

TommyK

Our new, 8 weeks old, grand daughter has picked up some respiratory virus. She is in the hospital. She's on the mend but not well enough to come home yet. Logistics prevents my DIL from spending more than an hour per day at the hospital. She has two kids at home, our son works an odd shift. MY wife and I are the only ones willing to drive her the hour to see the baby every other day. Mom is allowed into the room, but the nurses are, "Don touch that baby!" [cursing] My DIL cannot even lay a loving hand on her own baby.

This seems so wrong. I'm about to go off on a couple nurses. Should I?

no, absolutely not. they are there to help'

It may suck, no, it does suck. but try and remember those nurses are there to help. there is a reason they do what they do, and thier first job is to keep poeple healthy and have a successful outcome.

Do not blame them for treating you coldly when they do. Trust me when I say they feel your pain, it is hard for them as well, as they do not want to contribute any more to yours.

Help them the best they can, forgive them, and thank them. You know it is not they're fault.

Not knowing anything more than what you wrote, I would have to give the health care professional the benefit of the doubt and assume there is a good reason. Maybe they want to make sure no other germs are passed to the baby while she is in a weakened state?

Apparently some of these virus' can be very dangerous. Not to hi-jack this thread, but I have a relative out in OR who was a perfectly healthy 19 year old girl. She got some kind of cold virus last month and it somehow went to her heart. She was on life support for several weeks and ended up having to have a leg amputated. She's still not out of the woods yet.

My newborn grand daughter spent a week in the regional neonatal ICU - bacterial blood infection. The parents (my son and DIL) were allowed to visit - scrubbed (for 3 minutes) and gowned - and they could handle the baby. So could we, one at a time, scrubbed and gowned.

I think it's either rules for that particular hospital or due to the type of virus your grand daughter has.

Best wishes and prayers.

Awwwww, poor little thing. I work in a small hospital so I understand the need for keeping things aseptic. There are so many strains of bugs out there and every time someone comes in to the hospital, they risk bringing them in. Once it's in there it can spread. People in hospitals are a very vulnerable population. This includes your adorable granddaughter. And she's only 8 weeks old so they want to ensure she doesn't catch anything she can't handle. Is she in isolation? We have strict guidelines over respiratory and gastrointestinal outbreaks. If we have more than 3 people with respiratory/gastro outbreak on a unit, we go into 'isolation', meaning no one can come in or go out. The hospitals have to take this stuff seriously. I know it's hard but just wait it out best you can. It will end and you can hug her soon enough, but let's make sure she gets back to 100% now. <hug>

Okay, our experience was just the opposite. My granddaughter (who just turned 6 weeks) caught RSV and was in hospital for 6 days - 4 in an oxygen tent. Her mom was allowed almost constant contact (she was breast feeding) in fact she was actually under the oxygen tent for most of the time, and even my son and 2 year old granddaughter were allowed to visit. She was told that infants need their mothers - the isolation is worse for a young child developmentally. So based on our experience I'd say it's time to make at least a little noise.

I wouldn't go off on them but I'd ask questions. You need to really watched any and all loved ones in the hospital carefully - if you don't want thing to go horribly wrong. 1 out of 20 hospital patients end up with much worse infections Like (Staff) and end up sicker than when they went in. It's actually lucky anybody survives a hospital stay in todays world.

Archived