Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp Day!

Twiz

I wound up picking up that Classic 50 last night after work. $300 for the head and cab was a pretty good deal. I haven't really got to play it yet, but so far, I'm digging it. The 'Normal' channel has a pretty sweet clean sound, and the 'Lead' channel gets me a nice AC/DC-ish tone. It's not an overly gainy amp, but that's cool. This is the first 4X10 cab I've had too, so far I like it. It sounds a little tighter(?) to me. I don't know how to describe it, but it's different than a 4X12. One other thing I like, is it's a little more portable; I don't have to fold my seats down to put it in my car. I can't wait for band practice on Monday night so I can try the head through my 4X12. [thumbup]

5307.jpg

You always seem to find the fat deals man. I've heard nothing but good things bout the Classic Peaveys. Nice find

Haha. Thanks man. I have to be careful that I don't become a hoarder as a result of my iPhone's Craigslist app. I check it obsessively. I've got some cool deals tho.

That is a good deal for the money and with the head version you avoid a lot of the tube problems that plague the combo versions.

What tubes does it have in it?

I do recommend you to out a Tung Sol 12 ax7 on V1 of the preamp and see if you like it better.

Also, stay on top of the power tubes, if they start going out replace them because if not you may blow the diodes instead of the fuse, funny thing is diodes are cheaper than fuses but they are a hell of a lot harder to repair, a lot.

That is a good deal for the money and with the head version you avoid a lot of the tube problems that plague the combo versions.

What tubes does it have in it?

I do recommend you to out a Tung Sol 12 ax7 on V1 of the preamp and see if you like it better.

Also, stay on top of the power tubes, if they start going out replace them because if not you may blow the diodes instead of the fuse, funny thing is diodes are cheaper than fuses but they are a hell of a lot harder to repair, a lot.

Good point. But the diodes going is not an indication of a bad design-they are there to protect the amp from damage in the event a poer tube shorts.

In that case, the diodes SHOULD blow before the fuse. It is a sign of good design, not bad.

Is it the non-fx loop model? If so that's the ticket [thumbup]

what's the difference between the two besides that? I have a Peavey Classic 30 with an fx loop that I got for 260$...you got a great deal man...and i mean a GREAT deal...well done.

what's the difference between the two besides that? I have a Peavey Classic 30 with an fx loop that I got for 260$...you got a great deal man...and i mean a GREAT deal...well done.

I just prefer non-fx loop amps. I had mine "disabled" on my VOXAC50, and some other mods.... I just like the tone of the amp better without it.

When I want to run an fx loop application (which isn't often). I'll set up my Lehle 1@3 SGOS switcher as an fx-loop. But mainly it's used for switching from my Dirty Boy to the AC50 amp. IMO it's one of the best amp switchers around.

I just prefer non-fx loop amps. I had mine "disabled" on my VOXAC50, and some other mods.... I just like the tone of the amp better without it.

When I want to run an fx loop application (which isn't often). I'll set up my Lehle 1@3 SGOS switcher as an fx-loop. But mainly it's used for switching from my Dirty Boy to the AC50 amp. IMO it's one of the best amp switchers around.

Ah! I never use any fx loop's on any of my amp's either, but I've been wanted an amp switcher for a while now, and have been interested in Lehle as well, it's good to hear such a positive remark about it..Gonna have to check it out.

Ah! I never use any fx loop's on any of my amp's either, but I've been wanted an amp switcher for a while now, and have been interested in Lehle as well, it's good to hear such a positive remark about it..Gonna have to check it out.

It's a little pricey, but the Lehle is the best amp switcher I've used....

What a deal, man! I'll give you $305... [thumbup]

Haha. No thanks. [smile]

I played through a 4X12 last night at practice, and it sounded sweet. It's definitely not as loud as my 5150 head, but that's ok.

I'm going to take it to Pianos N Stuff (my favorite Pgh guitar shop) to have them do a once-over, and maybe replace the tubes this week.

Archived