Gibson Brands Forums

Some rewiring and general questions

Dougefresh91

I can't measure the height of the nut accurately.

H: .32 or .35

L: 1.65

e to E: 1.41

Thickness: .22ish

Bear with me, I'm bad with numbers... This site is confusing. The decimals switch places with the fractions on every other row of products. Not seeing any with an e to E of 1.41. This is not a fun thing to shop for. :/

I was only asking for ball park measurements to confirm it as a standard Epi nut or not.

Easiest way is to convert your measurements to metric, Imperial x 25.4 = Metric, so using length from your measurements, 1.65 x 25.4 = 41.91mm, using metric saves you from having to use fractions.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epiphone uses imperial (usually) for their nut width. All S-Series guitars and most other Epiphones are 1.68" Or more precisely, 1.6875 or 1 11/16"

Yeah but the Tusq site shows Metric and Imperial.

RTH, I assume you're referring to the length? At least the measurement that Tusq calls the length.

This gibson nut looks like the closest match. The thickness is a bit smaller, which is worrisome.

I just found an email address. I'm going to see what they recommend. I guess... I'm mathematically challenged so this sucks.

RTH, I assume you're referring to the length? At least the measurement that Tusq calls the length.

This gibson nut looks like the closest match. The thickness is a bit smaller, which is worrisome.

I just found an email address. I'm going to see what they recommend. I guess... I'm mathematically challenged so this sucks.

yes, I'm refering to what that site calls "length"....Gibson/Epi refer to as nut-width which is basically the width of the fretboard at the nut.

Like I said in my last post, I measured mine and got the same 1.65" as you, but Epiphone says 1.68". And I got that number from an Epiphone spec sheet. The only thing they have listed with a 1.65" nut-width are the 4-string basses. :-k I've never seen any Epiphone guitar listed as 1.65" at the nut.

I emailed Tusq and he said get the one for epiphone, the 6060.

Thats fine and all, but the e to e is narrower. I certainly don't need the strings closer together with my big fingers. I guess I'll just order it, and maybe the gibson one. I can always use one on my sg.

I ordered them both off ebay for $11 each. Thanks for the help.

I originally posted here back in December asking how I should restring my SG. So, at this rate, I figure by the end of the year you guys will have me building custom guitars. :) lol

I assume this will have to be glued in? I've seen recommendations from Elemers to crazy glue on the web. Or is there something out there thats made for this?

Archived