Gibson Brands Forums

Southern J. 1964

E-minor7

Because it's overpriced. Square-shouldered Gibson Jumbos from the period are nothing more than Martin wannabees, but really didn't have the big sound of a Martin Dread. Gibson in that period was getting killed by Martin, and was doing everything possible to tap into that market. This one looks a bit rode hard and put away wet, and it isn't stated what the "refurbishment" consisted of. It's a pig in a poke. That's why no one would bid on it. You'd be better off buying a new J-45 for the same money.

Because it's overpriced. Square-shouldered Gibson Jumbos from the period are nothing more than Martin wannabees, but really didn't have the big sound of a Martin Dread. Gibson in that period was getting killed by Martin, and was doing everything possible to tap into that market. This one looks a bit rode hard and put away wet, and it isn't stated what the "refurbishment" consisted of. It's a pig in a poke. That's why no one would bid on it. You'd be better off buying a new J-45 for the same money.

Appreciate your opinions, but cannot agree (maybe I just haven't played enough first60ties 28's.)

I recall the tale about the head of Gibson calling a chief luthier to his office, showing him a Martin D-28 and saying, "Make me one of these". This was back in 1959 or 60 and the result was, as we know, The Hummingbird.

Well the 2 guitars are nothing alike. The H-bird/SJ/C&W have the square shoulders all right, but they are shorter scaled and made of hog. They appear more fragile and of course features the adj. bridge concept.

The 3 sq. sh. Gibsons don't fail to carry that G-sound - talked about in the other thread - and not least therefor sound totally different in these ears.

The ignored SJ on the Bay had a worn top and might have been resprayed as BigK stated, but apart from that it looked pretty good. Having a SJ 63 here, I'm generally interested in those models and most of the time they go for something between 2.700 and 5.500 USD. Lark Street Music N.J. recently had an almost mint 1963/4 for just under 6.

Think it's the second time nothing happened. Wonder if it'll reappear with a lower reserve -

Archived