Gibson Brands Forums

standing or sitting while playing guitar

nodehopper

I recently started using a strap when playing. Helps support the guitar while sitting and playing. But this led to over the weekend I got up and was standing and playing guitar.

It was a revelation...my singing got better and I ended up dancing with my guitar while playing. It added a completely different physical aspect to playing guitar. Expressing music with my whole body while singing and playing guitar. Swaying with the rhythm and feeling like the guitar is my dance partner. Very cool!

Gonna get straps for all my guitars and now that I have felt the difference I am not sitting down to play guitar and sing much at all.

Any one else have this revelation?

When I play out, nine times out of 10 I'll stand up. I just seem to have more energy that way and I've always felt a standing performer commands the stage more than a sitting one. Of course there are plenty of great performers who sit while they play, and they command the stage pretty well from their chair.

As for myself, I find that when I sit and play, my guitar work is slightly better and more nuanced. And I don't speed the songs up as much.

Sitting when at home, when playing out a combination of sitting and standing. I find strumming quite ok while standing and agree it really gets you into the groove, but find flatpicking difficult while standing, thats when i usually sit down.

The group that I play with get on me all the time about "dancing around" while I'm playing! I can't help it! Man, I feel the music and just can't be still! Some folks can play and not move a muscle (The Darlins'-Andy Griffith Show), but that's just not me!

Yup. Daily practice while seated is good.

If the guitar does not rest on your lap, but suspended by the strap, the geographic location of the guitar and your playing hands don't change when you stand up.

While practicing in a seated position is good, eventually, if you intend to perform and sing, you should condition your body to stand and play for the usual duration of a set.

I recently started using a strap when playing. Helps support the guitar while sitting and playing. But this led to over the weekend I got up and was standing and playing guitar.

It was a revelation...my singing got better and I ended up dancing with my guitar while playing. It added a completely different physical aspect to playing guitar. Expressing music with my whole body while singing and playing guitar. Swaying with the rhythm and feeling like the guitar is my dance partner. Very cool!

Gonna get straps for all my guitars and now that I have felt the difference I am not sitting down to play guitar and sing much at all.

Any one else have this revelation?

So you're making it work, remember talking about it at the Thursday jam?

I'm probably around 75% standing 24% sitting & 1% on my knees with a can of lighter fluid, like Bill Monroe used to do. [biggrin]

I've found that when standing I naturally stretch or elongate my torso as opposed to hunching over my stringed instrument of choice.

This really helps with the mandolin as I can get better tone and keep it off my 12 pack abdomen. I hate tone guards!!

I know there is the proper sitting form in resting the guitar on your leg and getting a step up for your left foot, spine straight, eyes forward & begin - tick tock, tick tock...

So you're making it work, remember talking about it at the Thursday jam?

I'm probably around 75% standing 24% sitting & 1% on my knees with a can of lighter fluid, like Bill Monroe used to do. [biggrin]

I've found that when standing I naturally stretch or elongate my torso as opposed to hunching over my stringed instrument of choice.

This really helps with the mandolin as I can get better tone and keep it off my 12 pack abdomen. I hate tone guards!!

I know there is the proper sitting form in resting the guitar on your leg and getting a step up for your left foot, spine straight, eyes forward & begin - tick tock, tick tock...

Yah Terry.... I think it does help with posture and keeps the blood moving to be standing when playing. Although when I finish my second glass of Scotch....I will sit down so I don't fall down. [rolleyes]

I think it really helps with singing to be standing - or perhaps sitting on a tall stool. I tend to crunch up when sitting, getting my face over the fretboard to see what I'm doing.

I must of missed the Thursday jam when you had scotch!

Archived