Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone know how to 'age' Kluson tuners ..?

EuroAussie

As a follow up to my new SJ thread, I remember that was a thread in the past where somebody cosmetically 'aged' their new 'vintage' kluson tuners.

I love everything about the Aaron Lewis SJ except the tuners are son 'new' looking, especially when i compare them to my old CW which has same tuners, except 40 years older..

If your know how to make them look a bit older or remember the thread would love to hear from you.

Alternatively i might actually take the 40 year old Kluson tuners from the CW and place it on the SJ, and get Hummingbird type tuners for the CW as Ive always loved those tulip tuners ..

I would suggest the same technique as the StewMac article but you don't need the fancy brand name stuff. Instead of the "Etchant" use muriatic acid mixed with water at 3 parts water to one part acid. Remember to add acid to water not the other way around ... "Do as you otter, add acid to water!". Instead of using MicroMesh, use 0000 steel wool.

I would also remove the buttons and mask off the parts of the gear I don't want etched. Use PVC gloves and goggles with clothing protection and have clear water handy to dilute the acid to stop the reaction when you get to the patina you want.

Muriatic acid is available at most hardware stores and is very inexpensive. You buy it by the gallon to clean concrete. It is essentially a solution of Hydrochloric acid and sometimes called spirit of salts as well as muriatic acid. It is highly corrosive and also gives off am acidic mist during a reaction which is corrosive to the lining of the respiratory system when inhaled. In small amounts with good ventilation you should be ok. Larger amounts require front-slot vents and acid gas filter masks.

Thanks guys but i decided to go a different way.

I will install the original kluson tuners from my 69 CW on the SJ and just ordered a set of Humminbird type tuners for the CW.

So I guess my CW will suddenly become a natural finish Hummingbird ... ?

Archived