Gibson Brands Forums

30/60 Neck

G McBride

I was talking to a sals rep at one of our Indiana music warehouses and he told me that he had heard they were going to retire the 30/60 Necks. Anyone that can back up or dispute that claim?

I love that neck on my 339.

I was just talking to the shop about ordering a 30/60 neck on a 339 and there was no mention of it. If a dealer orders them, then they will build them. I can't see them doing away with one of the neck profiles that is in high demand. Just my 2 cents worth and I could be wrong.

A sales pitch maybe? When I purchased my 339, the line was, "and this one's still from the custom shop - they'll be going into regular production soon." The 30/60 neck seems to be quite popular & should remain available, imho.

I know the "60's" neck is a slimmer neck than the "50's".

What does the "30" mean in a "30/60" neck decription? ...just curious. [confused]

For this webpage: http://www.epinions.com/review/Gibson_Custom_Shop_Es_339_With_30_60_Neck_Semi_Hollow_Electric_Guitar_Antique/content_414807068292

"This neck is similar to the neck shape that Gibson began offering on some guitars back in 1960, which has since come to be known as a 1960’s Slim Profile Neck. But the 30/60 Neck is .030 of an inch thicker from front to back, all the way up the neck, and is now being referred to as a 1960’s Slim-Neck Plus. The “Plus” is of course the .030 of an inch thicker neck. This gives one the advantage of a lightning fast modern style guitar neck, but with the increased sustain that is traditionally associated with a guitar that has a thicker neck."

For this webpage: http://www.epinions.com/review/Gibson_Custom_Shop_Es_339_With_30_60_Neck_Semi_Hollow_Electric_Guitar_Antique/content_414807068292

"This neck is similar to the neck shape that Gibson began offering on some guitars back in 1960, which has since come to be known as a 1960’s Slim Profile Neck. But the 30/60 Neck is .030 of an inch thicker from front to back, all the way up the neck, and is now being referred to as a 1960’s Slim-Neck Plus. The “Plus” is of course the .030 of an inch thicker neck. This gives one the advantage of a lightning fast modern style guitar neck, but with the increased sustain that is traditionally associated with a guitar that has a thicker neck."

Thanks for the explanation. But 0.030" (1/32") appears to be very little difference in additional thickness. I might try to get my hands on one to check it out.

Thanks for the explanation. But 0.030" (1/32") appears to be very little difference in additional thickness. I might try to get my hands on one to check it out.

It's noticeable. I usually like a thicker neck, but for the 339 I like the 30/60 neck.

Archived