Gibson Brands Forums

Changing knobs

Alfa Sprint

I want to change knobs on my €piphone Dot. I think that I will put gold top hat with gold reflector. I' m not sure about size of shaft, I understand that Gibson shafts are 1/4" and €piphone are metric (5mm) ?

goldknobs.jpg

I've done it WITH those knobs...

Its the same size and easy to do, they come off in your hand (Or if stuck) with a flat - type screw driver goodluck [thumbup]

I want to change knobs on my €piphone Dot. I think that I will put gold top hat with gold reflector. I' m not sure about size of shaft, I understand that Gibson shafts are 1/4" and €piphone are metric (5mm) ?

goldknobs.jpg

Yes.

And Epiphone uses "Coarse-Splined" Pots/Knobs, not the "fine-splined".

I wouldn't recommend a screwdriver at all to remove them, though.

Here's one version of advice for it.

Take thin piece of cloth and wrap it underneath the knob.

Twist the cloth to get a good hold on the knob.

With gentle but firm force, pull the knob straight off.

There are a lotta guys here who know a lot more about this sorta thing than I do... but don't use the screwdriver as a lever, even if you have some sort of a cover and fulcrum to put on the guitar top - unless you're willing to accept some possible, if not probable, damage.

m

Actually, I use a screwdriver or a butter knife, and carefully make sure it is on the nut of the shaft and not on the wood of the guitar, with SLOW pressure so it don't slip. I do that to tilt the knob back and forth to loosen it.

When just pulling straight up, sometines I can see the wood flexing on a hollow body. That ain't good.

Can you imagine pulling stright up on a stuck knob on something of a spruce top?

Guest FarnsBarns

goldknobs.jpg

Where are you in the world? I have some with silver reflectors you can have if you want them! I ordered them from an unscrupulous Ebay seller who said they would fit my Gibby R6!

BTW - DO NOT lever your knobs off, you will break one side of the split shaft off!

lol..Yea, I just read the straplock thread on the darwin thread.

It's all common sense, man. I mean, if we take huge bong rips and do crack when we work on our guitars, we are bound to laern some things the hard way, and then quickly forget what we have just learned.

Another good trick if you encounter a REALLY stubborn knob is the old, "Teaspoon Trick":

Place a cloth on the surface of the guitar to protect the finish. Take two teaspoons and place the tips under the knob on opposit sides. GENTLY rock the spoons back and forth alternately ... the knob will work itself off easily.

+1 for the reflector knobs, BTW ... I put the on both my Epi Flying V and my "56 Goldtop, Great look!

Jim

SANY0118.jpg

I wouldn't recommend a screwdriver at all to remove them, though.

Here's one version of advice for it.

Take thin piece of cloth and wrap it underneath the knob.

Twist the cloth to get a good hold on the knob.

With gentle but firm force, pull the knob straight off.

There are a lotta guys here who know a lot more about this sorta thing than I do... but don't use the screwdriver as a lever, even if you have some sort of a cover and fulcrum to put on the guitar top - unless you're willing to accept some possible, if not probable, damage.

m

That is a great knob removal tip [thumbup]

I put black bell knobs with the gold top on my natural Dot, and I think they look really good. I did not like the stock knobs -- I could not read the numbers.

I got them from GFS

Set of Four- SG, ES-355 Gold Top BLACK Bell Knobs

it's really easy to get the old knobs off. I wrapped a shoe lace around them and pulled up.

Do you have a picture of your natural Dot with those knobs?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived