Gibson Brands Forums

SS-2F or ST-2FPA?

vestiges

Hello all, first-time poster here. I'm really close purchasing my first Steinberger - they really seem perfect in all the ways I care about. The only dilemma I am still having is whether or not I should get the baritone transcale version.

My current band tunes to C standard (so every string down two whole steps). I currently use a 25.5" scale guitar with 13-56 strings and this seems to work out okay. I know I could just continue to use those same strings on the SS-2F and get the same results in terms of string tension. But the fact that the Transcale is built to go a little lower (D standard) intrigues me, because I would be tuning less "out of the way" of the way it was designed. Also, I'd prefer to use double-ball strings when using the Steinberger, and, as far as I know, no one is making 13 gauge double-ball strings for the standard 25.5". The Steinberger 12 gauge for the baritone seem like they would be perfect for dropping one more whole step to C.

But here's the kicker: the design of the transcale really, really irks me because the side dot inlays indicate different positions than the top inlays! This just seems outrageous to me. I would probably usually use this guitar with the capo all the way down in the baritone position, and sometimes roll it up a fret or two, so I'd much prefer the side and top to just indicate the full baritone fret markers.

Can any owners attest to this problem actually not being as big of a deal as I think it would be? Also, please weigh in on the situation and make your suggestion about which guitar is right for me.

Hello

I have one of each and have never been bothered by this. I tend to use the fpa most of

the time as its a bit more playable as a baritone and mostly bacause of the

piezo mic. Its fantastic to combine the mics into new voice patterns.

If the extra length dont bother you by the fpa and learn to live with

this perk :)

Thanks for the input. It's good to know that the fret markers don't bother you. And yes I'm sure the piezo is awesome.

Were you ever bothered by the ridges on the sides of the fretboard? Or are these just another thing that just takes a little adjustment to get used to?

I have seen a few mentions of the heavy baritone string set offered by Steinberger (12-68)being used to tune the transcale down to B to B. Is this what they are intended for? If so, it might be nice to keep it in this tuning and usually have the capo on the second fret, but have the option of either going up or down. I am definitely attracted to the uniqueness of the transcale as an instrument on the whole. I wish there was a place remotely close to me that I could try one out.

Were you ever bothered by the ridges on the sides of the fretboard? Or are these just another thing that just takes a little adjustment to get used to?

I don't know how much this depends on your playing "mechanics", but I don't even notice them. They are - in my eyes - just a visual quirk, nothing you will feel while playing.

Bernd

• 4 weeks later...

I have somewhat the same question, My band tunes in A Drop G("get a bass" i have heard it so please don't troll). ST-2FPA seems to have its advantages but I'm new to Steinbergers so i'm concerned about intonation, is it doable with the pietzo bridge? Or am I better off with a SS-2F where i can intonate each string? I think I'll be using Elixir baritone strings 068 - 012 and in the SS-2F case i might even go thicker. And, on the SS-2F is it possible to reverse the bridge piece that holds the string?

I have somewhat the same question, My band tunes in A Drop G(…). ST-2FPA seems to have its advantages but I'm new to Steinbergers so i'm concerned about intonation, is it doable with the pietzo bridge? Or am I better off with a SS-2F where i can intonate each string?

I don't have first hand experience with weird tunings, so I can just come up with some theoretical thoughts. The piezo bridge itself shouldn't be any issue, and the fact that you can't adjust strings individually is the same on Synapse basses… and all acoustic guitars and basses. It might have a little impact on intonation when playing on the higher frets, but somehow it sounds strange to tune so far down, just to play the upper frets then [tongue]

And, on the SS-2F is it possible to reverse the bridge piece that holds the string?

No. Other than on the old Steinies, the saddles on the SS-2F are held by a screw which goes (longitudinally) through the saddle. This screw is not centered, so you can't reverse the saddle.

Bernd

I don't have first hand experience with weird tunings, so I can just come up with some theoretical thoughts. The piezo bridge itself shouldn't be any issue, and the fact that you can't adjust strings individually is the same on Synapse basses… and all acoustic guitars and basses. It might have a little impact on intonation when playing on the higher frets, but somehow it sounds strange to tune so far down, just to play the upper frets then [tongue]

No. Other than on the old Steinies, the saddles on the SS-2F are held by a screw which goes (longitudinally) through the saddle. This screw is not centered, so you can't reverse the saddle.

Bernd

thanks for the reply!

Weird or not It's just a matter of sounddesign, guitars aren't that old you know. :D

I have somewhat the same question, My band tunes in A Drop G("get a bass" i have heard it so please don't troll). ST-2FPA seems to have its advantages but I'm new to Steinbergers so i'm concerned about intonation, is it doable with the pietzo bridge? Or am I better off with a SS-2F where i can intonate each string? I think I'll be using Elixir baritone strings 068 - 012 and in the SS-2F case i might even go thicker. And, on the SS-2F is it possible to reverse the bridge piece that holds the string?

One thing to consider is that Steinberger makes a 12-68 set for the baritone. I would guess that strings designed specifically for this guitar would not cause intonation problems. Plus, that is literally the only way to tune low on a Stein with double ball strings.

I'm now in the market for an ST-2FPA. Recently picked up an SS-2F because I got a good deal, but I really think I'd prefer the baritone scale.

• 7 months later...

I just got a transcale and I have an original synapse as well.I have put a small piece of black electrical tape over the dots on the fingerboard in certain positions.if you play in Tge 25.5 scale it is the dots for Tge 12 and 3 positions. That 12 position on the fingerboard was really throwing me off. I can't notice the tape at all and with only the side dots showing 12 I can wail like before.for some reason the original synapse has a 25" scale which is unacceptable. I have an ebony board that is slotted 25.5 and that is going on there. The transcale is the only one with 25.5 and a thru neck. Gotta have 25.5 and a thru neck. This transcale in flat black is one killer guitar.

Archived