Gibson Brands Forums

Southern Jumbo spec questions

Blaster

In general, what is the neck profile like on the Gibson Southern Jumbo models that were made both in the '90s and up until recent times? Are they hefty, or Deep V shape, Baseball Bat or are the necks similar to the "modified C" that Martin uses on a lot of their models. I favour the chunkier necks that have some shoulder to them, versus the thin hand cramping necks like the modified C. i know that on some Gibson models there is a significant variance, some have smaller neck contours, while sometimes you'll run into one that's different. I don't know if it's now taken over by CNC machines and they're all the same, except for a few that slip thru.

Is there any particular SJ model that was spec'd with a larger neck? I have looked at some of the signature models like the Hank Williams and Woody Guthrie models, are they significantly different spec-wise, or is it just a matter of the artist's name on the TR cover, COA or label? I really like some of these Southern Jumbo models and also like the Original Jumbo reissue, but those are very rare to find.

Thanks for any advice.

Archived