Gibson Brands Forums

DADGAD on a Gibson?

Rambler

Anyone here mess with the DADGAD tuning on your Gibbies? Or double drop-D, ala Paul Brady? I've been messing with it to learn some tunes for St Pats. Now, while I like my J50 for most things, its not working so well in this context. Not enough in the top vs the mids. I get a better separation from my hog 000, but dont like singing with it so well.

Anyone out there who messes with that tuning that has a combo that works for you (model/woods/tone). Bonus points if you have one you like to sing with as well as playing tunes. Cheers.

I've used DADGAD and drop D with a variety of guitars...no Gibson Acoustics though

Drawing inspiration from the DADGAD Daddy Davy Graham

And spiritual descendants John Renbourn and Jimmy Page

The most fun being on a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin and a Fender Esquire

Good Luck.....

V

:-({|=

Love that tuning!!! Sounds super on my 'hog TVSJ. Good tunes that I play in that tuning are: "A Country Boy Can Survive" by Hank Jr., "Don't Let It Bring You Down" by Neil Young, "Man Of Constant Sorrow" by The Soggy Bottom Boys, "One More Silver Dollar" by The Allman Brothers.

I've actually been using the J-200 tuned a whole step down on each string i.e., DGCFAD since I bought it (a couple weeks ago) with no tension or sound problems at all...at least that I've noticed. I'm still using the shipped strings, which I read on this forum are probably PB gibson masterbuilt lights-.012 on E (or in my case, D) string. Perhaps experimenting with gauges of the strings that don't sound good to you will bring back the tone you desire. Everything I've been reading on the acoustic forum says different string tensions 'drive' or vibrate the top of the guitar less or more hard. 'Course, my 200 is maple rather than RW or Hog...

Personally, I do this because I like the sound-while I'm still experimenting with the new guitar; and, with age, singing songs a whole step down is easier...

Happy St. Paddy's day from a Scotsman in Nebraska!

I use double-dropped D and open G all the time on my J-45, and it works pretty well for me; those tunings also worked well for me on the LG-2 I once owned. FWIW, I think Davey Graham's first couple of albums were recorded with a J-50, and he was ground zero for DADGAD tuning ...

FWIW, I think Davey Graham's first couple of albums were recorded with a J-50, and he was ground zero for DADGAD tuning ...

Davey is indeed the man for that tuning, but I had him associated with a Martin 000. Thanks.

Talking Gibsons, I don't go further than the dropped D in this phase. Most of the time I keep them straight, but half a tone down. I'm new on these guitars - just 10 months in - and only learning to play them. The G-sound itself is enough for me right now.

Talking tunings, I did something alternative a few years ago. Exchanged the position of the B and G string and then re-tuned. . .

Created some intriguing timbres and made me write one of my best songs ever. However, analyzing what I'd done, showed the chords weren't that alternative : A - E - D - F#m - Cism – and a couple I can't recognize. But in this disguise they triggered a completely otherly melody line. As if it came out of another sky.

(My guardian angel tells me the tuning must be kept a strictly confidential laboratory-secret.)

I don't sing, so there goes my bonus, but DADGAD, and any other tuning with a D is the base sounds mighty on my roy smeck stage deluxe ri. My favourite number in this tuning is Laughing from David Cosby's If Only I Could Remember My Name album. Great name for a record, when your the Cos.

My favourite number in this tuning is Laughing from David Cosby's If Only I Could Remember My Name album. Great name for a record. . .

I'm right with you - just ordered tickets for a Crosby & Nash concert in the fall. Happy. . .

I currently have my guitar tuned down a full step to D. I love it. Rich and full. Open D is pretty great too, and with the Hummingbird that works great for slide!

full step down = same old thing, at least in terms of chords and voicings. Alter the outside strings and things start openning up in interesting ways.

Archived