Gibson Brands Forums

I scratched the itch

Sitric

For a good while I wondered what my J-185 would sound like with without it's scratchpad.....so I took it off and put on a standard martin-style one(clear).

Why? Because I felt the guitar sounded plasticy, not woody enough.

The result? The guitar sounds woodier.

The difference is not great, but it is there, enough to justify the change to my ears, and I'm enjoying doodling and playing with it more.

So,would I recommend someone else to do it? Probably not, as I honestly couldn't be sure that someone else would find the difference significant enough,as I have.

Onwards and upwards!

Brendan Devereux

Is it one of those clear, soft/limp plastic "static stick" guards ?

If so, I hope it doesn't melt you nitro finish.

That's happened to more than one person. It's the same reaction that nitro has with some guitar stand cushions - some foams and rubber.

Thanks BigKahune, it was one I bought from StewMac (only a few dollars)- What ye think?

If it's hard plastic, you're okay. If it's the soft, pliable, clear plastic one, be warned.

The last one was a guy with a new LP. Really nice flamed top. Instead of putting on the traditional PG, he put one of those soft plastic "static stick" PGs on. A few days later he notice the finish looked odd under the PG. He went to remove the PG and the finish under the PG stuck to the PG and got pulled right off the guitar. The guy was beside himself.

The problem with nitro reacting with some plastics, foams and rubber is well document on these forums.

I wouldn't use it unless the manufacturer specifically said the PG is nitro safe. And even then I would probably still not use it. Too many bad pics posted on the forum. By far the most common is the neck finish marred from contact with a nitro reactive pad on a guitar stand.

If you still have doubts, maybe someone else will chime in to confirm.

Best of luck to ya.

BK is right to raise this concern. What keeps the flexible pickguard flexible is plasticizers. Those same plasticizers can exert a similar softening effect on nitro. I have no way of knowing if the product you're using has plasticizers that pose a risk to nitro, but I personally wouldn't take the chance. I'd assume its hazardous until proven otherwise rather than assuming it's safe until proven otherwise. While nitro certainly has its plusses, its reactivity to other plastics isn't one of them.

Thanks for the concern - really nice to see.

On foot of BigKahune's initial comment I sent an email to StewMac, and lo and behold I have just received an email back stating that the scratchpad is safe to use with nitrcellulose! Full marks to StewMac for their customer support (and to the quality of their product).

Again, thanks for the concern shown.

I was reminded of the time here in Ireland I went into a shop to have a look at Gibsons, and every one (about four)that I was shown had significant burn marks on their necks where the nitro had reacted to the material on the hangers - so I didn't need much convincing in this regard.

A Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all!

Brendan Devereux

I'm reading these comments and a little confused??? 1 of my instruments has nitro finish, another is an oil rubbed finish . I was told and also read my Gibson has what is called a violin finish, and I thought all Gibson acoustics were. Of coarse I don't really know what a violin finish is...It's way different than my nitro, that's for sure. Anyone know what violin finish refers to ?

I'm reading these comments and a little confused??? 1 of my instruments has nitro finish, another is an oil rubbed finish . I was told and also read my Gibson has what is called a violin finish, and I thought all Gibson acoustics were. Of coarse I don't really know what a violin finish is...It's way different than my nitro, that's for sure. Anyone know what violin finish refers to ?

I don't know what "violin finish" refers to.

But violins are sealed with all kinds of finish products - shellac, alcohol based sealers, varnish or nitro.

Archived