Gibson Brands Forums

Ringo Star

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

Here we go again.

So what number Troll train did you ride in on Fartbarns?

Hehehe, well, I'm not surprised people disagree, but its all good, no one seems to be trolling or flaming or anything. I thought it would make an interesting thread but I didn't think EVERYONE would disagree. Feeling a little silly now! Ho hum, no harm done, no one personally insulted.

Well, I suppose Ringo might be insulted, I'm sure he's a member here. At lest everyone has come to his rescue.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ringo: Best drummer in rock history because he was in The Beatles and Not the Worst Singer in History because he was in The Beatles. And I mean that as a compliment.

The Beatles' music had no time - literally and figuratively - for Keith Moon or John Bonham. He got the job done on the Lennon/McCartney songs, probably better than anyone ever could have. I would never have wanted a drummer to say to Lennon or McCartney before drumming on "Rain" or "Helter Skelter" - "This is wrong; I want MORE of a part!"

Pu-leeeze....

Would The Beatles be that great if Neil Peart was their drummer? Once you understand the correct answer to that question then you'll understand why Ringo was perfect for The Beatles. BTW, I bet that Neil Peart would have the correct answer to that question in about a micro-second.

He can sing...it's just different to all the auto tune crap you guys have gotten used to today...Listen to "With a little Help From my Friends"...lots of emotion and feeling...

As for the drumming...what he does is just too subtle for most people to hear...like Charlie Watts...both are not flashy but are INCREDIBLE drummers...

I've got your back Mr.Starky..."Tomorrow never knows" still sounds modern today... =D>

I know a lot of people won't like this, but I think Lennon was the least talented...nonsense lyrics, and some really bad singing too on his solo stuff...not to say he didn't have talent, but less than the other 3..

Mccartney is an awesome bass player,song writer,guitarist etc etc...

George wrote some beautiful melody's and again, lead work was subtle and expressive...

Anyway, that my 2 cents...

Ringo was and still is a dam good drummer. Never flashy, but solid..his style is purposefully intended to emphasis the song and not the drummer...that was a perfect fit for The Beatles...The foundation of the group was that no one person would dominate the music...John and Paul wrote the songs, but in the studio and on the stage it was always a group effort and that was what made them so great...and when they broke up it was because they drifted from that foundation.

John praised Ringo's work, in one interview he said he was the best drummer he ever worked with...and was his inspiration for many songs; Hard Days Night and Eight Days A Week just to name two...but it was Ringo's work on Revolver, Sergeant Peppers, and Abby Road that sealed him as a great rock and roll drummer...A Day In The Life is one of the best works of any percussionist, which is exactly what Ringo is. There is a difference between someone who just beats the hell out of a drum kit as loud as possible and a percussionist...a percussionist brings a dynamic element to the music...Not just fast rolls and volume...

As for his singing I would have to say that his voice was perfect for the songs he sang with the Fab Four. Would anybody say his version of With a Little Help From My Friends is worse than Joe Cocker's? The thing is, Rock & Blues are two forms of music that do not require a great vocal quality as much as it requires a an expressive one..Little Richard, Mick Jagger, Joe Cocker have never been great vocalist...but they are established, recognized Rock greats. As it should be.

As for the drumming...what he does is just too subtle for most people to hear...like Charlie Watts...both are not flashy but are INCREDIBLE drummers...

Sorry, cannot let this stand. Charlie Watts isn't fit to carry Ringo's sticks. Watts may play big band style drums well, but his work with the Stones makes me grind my teeth; he rushes and pushes in awkward ways that a rock drummer should not. Unique? Yes. Incredible? No.

I know a lot of people won't like this, but I think Lennon was the least talented...nonsense lyrics, and some really bad singing too on his solo stuff...not to say he didn't have talent, but less than the other 3..

Lennon had the vision, Lennon executed the vision.... Lennon was the Beatles

Guest FarnsBarns

During the height of their fame, John Lennon was asked if he thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world, to which he replied, 'He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles!'

I'd forgotten that. Quite witty, the kind of thing Spike Million would say.

Nonsense lyrics....Have you ever heard "Working Class Hero"? Lennon was one of the most brilliant songwriters of all time, IMO.

Much as I love John Lennon...he was not "The Beatles!" He was the founder,

but "The Beatles," were all 4 men. Each, with their own special talents,

that made up the whole. Take away Any of them, it wasn't "The Beatles!" Even

they knew that!

Ringo, may have been the last to join, but he was the final "ingredient,"

as it were, that made them who/what they were. They were, truly, Amazing!

CB

If someone said Ringo sucked to my face they'd get a knuckle sandwich. I dare thee. ;)

Oh well he wasn't no Buddy Rich, but he was still the perfect time keeper for the Beatles.

What he did after the fact is another story.... actually, was ANY of the Fab 4 that FAB after

the Beatles? [tongue]

Sorry, cannot let this stand. Charlie Watts isn't fit to carry Ringo's sticks. Watts may play big band style drums well, but his work with the Stones makes me grind my teeth; he rushes and pushes in awkward ways that a rock drummer should not. Unique? Yes. Incredible? No.

Au Contraire...mon ami

Charlie Watts IMO is a terrific drummer...unique and creative

I particularly like the apparently sloppy meter-pushing style he has on many great early Stones tracks

To the listening public this imparts joie de vivre in large amounts

And in a big way explains the rhythmic genius which makes the Stones

The Greatest Rock Band in the World....

V

:-({|=

Dont forget when in an interview John Lennon was asked did he think Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world he replied hes not even the best drummer in the beatles. [lol]

Ringo as a Beatle and a Drummer....Yes

Ringo as a Solo Singer and Frontman....No

Ringo as Children's Show Host....Yes

Ringo as a Cartoon Character...ABSOLUTELY!

Would The Beatles be that great if Neil Peart was their drummer? Once you understand the correct answer to that question then you'll understand why Ringo was perfect for The Beatles. BTW, I bet that Neil Peart would have the correct answer to that question in about a micro-second.

Nah, Neil Peart would have been perfect for the Beatles...if you got rid of John, Paul and George, and replaced them with Alex and Geddy, and they wrote completely different material...and if they were from Canada and called themselves Rush.

Hey Cookie, don't want to hijack the thread, but that is a particularly beautiful LP you have there. Great tobaccoburst, uncovered 'buckers...and do I see it has Grovers...? Excellent taste. Niiiiice...

Yeah she's a beautiful studio deluxe with coil taps and 60s neck in vintage sunburstmsp_thumbup.gif

newguitars006.jpg

I'm sorry, you are wrong..Charlie Watts is probably better than Ringo...can switch to jazz and other non pop styles easily...with the stones he played what works. Watch him in Ronnie Scotts jazz club and you will hear all the subtle little things he does sooooo well....

No offense, but this generation that grew up with Pro tools type cut and paste 4/4 drums have no idea...

We love you Charlie and Ringo... [thumbup]

Nonsense lyrics....Have you ever heard "Working Class Hero"? Lennon was one of the most brilliant songwriters of all time, IMO.

Shame he wasn't a working class hero...he went to Public school in Liverpool, not really very working class...unlike Ringo, who left school at 13! yep..and worked for a living, not Public school, or art college...real working class boy...

Oh well, maybe your looking "through a glass onion?" [flapper]

Archived