S t e v e

Guest FarnsBarns

:-k

EBAY

the machine heads, the pups, the neck profile, the TRC are all wrong [rolleyes]

and non original case #-o

I'd say it was fake, the logo looks crap and so do the inlays

Guest FarnsBarns

The ends of the moustache look too pointed as well. I decided to be bold and asked the seller if he has case candy and receipt coz it looks fake. I'll let you know what response I get. I think there might be 2 guitars pictured there. I think the pic in the case and the one of it being played might be a different, real, Gibson.

The ends of the moustache look too pointed as well. I decided to be bold and asked the seller if he has case candy and receipt coz it looks fake. I'll let you know what response I get. I think there might be 2 guitars pictured there. I think the pic in the case and the one of it being played might be a different, real, Gibson.

yea, that TRC with "limited edition" on it realy caught my eye [unsure]

the Gibson inlay in the headstock is definitely funky...look at the i in Gibson and see how it's merged with the G....If it's a fake, it's definitely a good one as far as appearances go.... :-k

tbh, to the untrained eye it may seem real...but the seller didn't reckon on ME checking out his listing [biggrin]

i know all about the GM sig run of LP and THAT one defo isn't on it [thumbdn]

The script logo is screened not inlayed, like the vintage one below - but the letters a bit square and the "s" has a fat bottom loop.

There are some other red flags, as Steve pointed out - the machine heads and the pups.

Also the anchor screws on the pup collars (4 each) should be flat heads, not dome heads.

The TRC and case could've been changed, but the seller doesn't mention that.

lpjrlogo.jpg. . . $(KGrHqJ,!h4E1Kvu7Lc3BNfQf(IKb!~~_3.JPG

yes, if he has modded it...the pups are 57 classics but should be open coil/reversed zebra burstbuckers, the m heads are grovers but should be klusons, the TRC should read "gary moore" and not "limited edition".

it could be an original like mine but modded, if so then he should say so and not stick a fake "limited edition" TRC on it and say it's a limited edition gary moore signature...it is not [-X

The script logo is screened not inlayed, like the vintage one below - but the letters a bit square and the "s" has a fat bottom loop.

There are some other red flags, as Steve pointed out - the machine heads and the pups.

Also the anchor screws on the pup collars (4 each) should be flat heads, not dome heads.

lpjrlogo.jpg. . . $(KGrHqJ,!h4E1Kvu7Lc3BNfQf(IKb!~~_3.JPG

good point , I just now read his listing, and I just reckoned he swapped it out...but yea thanks for correcting me on the "inlay" vs screen..what year did they stop the inlay process? Never knew about the screws on the pup rings either...and people say you don't learn things on this forum.... [thumbup]

I also just noticed that the case, if it's the old style ones, it doesn't have the shroud...

It is very possible that is is not a Gary Moore model at all, but rather just a studio with the better top. They were common for awile.

It is also completely possible that the dealer was fooled as well, it does happen. There could have been a mix up somewhere concerning the GM moniker, in that someone may have made a "Gary Moore" by replicating one by making a likeness for himself and referring to it that way, not trying to fool anyone.

It is also completely possible that the dealer was fooled as well, it does happen.

then i hope i never buy a guitar from the said dealer, so basicly you could walk into the said dealers shop with a bog standard lemonburst studio and tell them it's a gary moore signature and the dealer would believe you...deal done. [rolleyes]

then i hope i never buy a guitar from the said dealer, so basicly you could walk into the said dealers shop with a bog standard lemonburst studio and tell them it's a gary moore signature and the dealer would believe you...deal done. [rolleyes]

WELL, yes thats true. It was mostly a statement addressing the owner and his intentions, that while he may not have the real deal, he might genuinely not be trying to fool anybody. There are a number of dealers that really aren't much of a dealer, and more of a pawnshop that happens to sell guitars.

Thats where a guy like you comes in to set poeple straight, it doesn't HAVE to mean someone is trying to rip someone off.

Thats where a guy like you comes in to set poeple straight, it doesn't HAVE to mean someone is trying to rip someone off.

oh yea, i wasn't personaly attacking the seller just pointing out that it's a fake...as you said the seller may not no it's not genuine B)

... the "inlay" vs screen..what year did they stop the inlay process? ...

Gibson still does both, depending on the model. Generally speaking the higher priced stuff is inlaid, but not always.

Speaking of inlays, there's another red flag: Generally speaking, Gibson's f/b inlays are usually really tight, this guitar has at least one sloppy inlay. You can see it in the pic where the seller points out the fret wear - look at the top of the trapazoid, treble side corner - the route was rounded too big. There's filler, like you see on Epi's. I'm still not saying fake. But there are some red flags.

$(KGrHqR,!l!E1F4dZbsSBNfQguwvqw~~_3.JPG

it might not be "fake" but it is NOT an original gary moore sig in it's current form...maybe it's been modified, it's either modified and the owner don't know or it's a fake and he's selling it knowing so... [-X

Guest FarnsBarns

i'm not gonna bite [laugh]

farnsbarns, has the seller replied to your question yet?

Yes, twice. First one asking me to elaborate, which I did, I was diplomatic and said I'm sure he wouldn't knowingly rip anyone off. Second said "it is a Gibson" but did not say It's a Gary Moore and demanded I "take back my comments".

Oh well, I expect the buyer will be showing it off here soon then. Who's gonna tell him?

Archived