Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom refinish

I replaced the pickups. I put a Semour Duncan Phat Cat in the neck position (against a lot of advice)and a Pearly Gates in the bridge. I did not replace any of the pots, switches or wires though. The difference was obvious. The tone was tighter and more clear and the overdrive sound was a lot stronger but not muddy at all.

After all this, I decided that I just could not play the flame paint job in public. The fourth graders and guys who drive vans with Wizards airbrushed on the sides all liked it, but it was certainly not a big boy guitar. So I decided to have it painted, I was going to go with a Pelham Blue because I am way into blue guitars.

After sanding it my tech found a nice useable maple cap.He says that Epis make a quality finish. He had to put in a lot of work to get to the wood.

sanded.jpg

My tech talked me out of the finish I wanted. I had originally thought that a TV White would look good, but after seeing a sample, I think it i just milky looking.

We are going to try some stains and see how it looks. I'll post the pics if anyone is interested in seeing the results.

FBassBN5_White.jpg

The finish is done! One more polish and we put the wires back in!!

Wow, beware of that tiger DW R, it might snap and bite you on the arse while your back is turned. LOL

Looking exceptional mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Really wonderful results with this project, Double!

I agree with Rastus ... not only is it a true looker, but I bet it sings like a bird too. I have to admit, I am completely unfamiliar with this model. It looks like it started life as a Studio LP ... but I've never personally seen one with a maple neck. Is the headstock painted black, or did they leave it natural as well? I'd love to see a pic of the entire guitar if you find the time.

Congrats on a completely unique instrument!

Jim

• 1 month later...

Here are some more detailed pics. Sorry it is so dirty, this is right after a loooong practice session. After this post, I will shut up about this geet. I promise! [biggrin]

Notice the brass nut.

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Maple fretboard with black block inlays. I like this look a lot, but it is not to everyone's taste.

IMG_0468.jpg

It was that signature Custom they made for that Connelly dude from Nickelback a few years ago. I never understood the whole painted-flame thing myself...I guess it's what the guy wanted, so thats what they did.

It was that signature Custom they made for that Connelly dude from Nickelback a few years ago. I never understood the whole painted-flame thing myself...I guess it's what the guy wanted, so thats what they did.

There were several different LPs of that "era" that Epiphone did that flame graphic on. John Connelly's was a sig, but in the same vein with the exact same graphic only upside down. I think they are neat looking, but it seems to be a waste of that purdy flamed maple top.

Anyhoo, Doublewide, your guitar looks great! How do you like that brass nut? They are more common on basses. I have one on my Ocean TB75. Supposedly, aside from added sustain, they help to even out the tone between open and fingered notes. Comparatively, between my TB75 with brass and my Epiphone EBM-5 with plastic, there is a difference. But that may be the basses/pickups themselves and not the nut. Not really sure to be honest.

That is indeed the J.C. Custom, at least according to Google, was out at the time I got my Les Paul Classic in 2004, maple board, black inlays, brass nut and the flame-paint on the top of the body. There was another one they did, don't remember for who it was tributed to. And I THINK the Z.W. Customs at the time had the brass nut too, don't know if they still do, I'm thinking they don't, could be wrong, not enough of a fan of Zakk Wylde to know. But that refinished Lester looks WORLDS better without that foolish paintjob, damn shame hiding a nice flametop like that.

Edit: I stand corrected, he was with Sevendust, not Nickelback.

Archived