Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic guitars

Osairis

Hi folks! I´m a guy living in Finland. I´m coming to NYC in May on sight seeing & pleasure trip. My intention is to buy a good guitar for reasonable price. I´m thinkin of Martin or Gibson, eventually Harmony Sovreign - or some other well known brand. I need some help: where to go, where to buy? Can one get a good one in some Pawn shop? How much cheaper are they in those places than in guitar shops? And how much in maximum should I pay for Gibson J45 or J50 from 60´? Thank you for your help!

Hi folks! I´m a guy living in Finland. I´m coming to NYC in May on sight seeing & pleasure trip. My intention is to buy a good guitar for reasonable price. I´m thinkin of Martin or Gibson, eventually Harmony Sovreign - or some other well known brand. I need some help: where to go, where to buy? Can one get a good one in some Pawn shop? How much cheaper are they in those places than in guitar shops? And how much in maximum should I pay for Gibson J45 or J50 from 60´? Thank you for your help!

There are quite a few guitar shops in Manhattan and the surrounding New York boroughs, I was born there and left about 25 years ago, but many of the shops are still there. 48th Street between 6th and 7th avenues used to be Guitar Central for NYC. Years ago there were not only stores like Alex Music, Mannys, Sam Ash, We-Buy-Guitars, Eddie Bell and others, but there were many Pawn Shops located within a few blocks of all the music stores on 48th st. A lot has changed, and with real estate on a constant upswing in Manhattan, music stores are some of the first places to fold. Take a laptop with you on your trip, and google Music stores in Manhattan. You'll find more than you have time for. The one place I'd recommend to get your heart pounding would be Rudy's Music Stop, 169 West 48th St, in mid-town Manhattan. He has an entire building for display as well as a repair section, He just opened another location in SoHo, which is supposedly one of the most high-end guitar stores on earth. There are a few "big-box" stores like Sam Ash Music on 48th, as well as Guitar Center down on 14th, if you've never been in one, it's worth checking out. If you head downtown, there are a few places in the West Village, Matt Umanov, 273 Bleeker St, between Jones and Morton Streets

There's also 30th Street Music, UltraSound, Chelsea Music, Carmine Guitars and quite a few more. You'll definitely want to plan out your travel route so as to minimize out of pocket costs. You might want to call a few places from your hotel and find out what they've got that you might be interested in. Once you've been to some of the better known guitar stores, you can say that you've been there and done that,

But my .02 would be to take the time and block out a few hours and make the trip to Mandolin Brothers over on Staten Island. Stan Jay is the owner and he's been there since the early 70s. He's very knowledgable and is sort of a grandfatherly New York version of George Gruhn. Mandolin Brothers are Gibson and Martin dealers, plus they usually have a huge selection of Used guitars; their prices are a bit more reasonable that the stores over in Manhattan and you have time to start studying their website. There's a few other places, which I'm sure other members will mention, but my last recommendation would be Bernard Levine over at Lark Street Music in Teaneck, New Jersey. He's another well known vintage guitar dealer and like Rudy Pensa, Stan Jay, and Matt Umanov, "Buzz" has sold to some of the biggest names in the business. I've bought instruments from all these people and have the highest respect for them. I'm sure they'll be very helpful in your search for a nice guitar to bring back home. Best of Luck in the Big Apple.

One last thing you might want to consider; all the above mentioned stores are expensive, moderately expensive to very expensive. there are of course instances, where you can score a nice guitar for a good price, but usually that's a stroke of luck in New York. Personally I'd be very cautious of Pawn Shops, you don't have much in the way of recourse if there's a problem with your purchase. Pawn shops are don't usually win any Malcolm Baldridge or JD Powers Awards. If you any friends in New York that know their way around and have access to a car, you might want to check out Classifieds like BuyLines Press, Craigs list, etc for a decent used guitar, More than likely if you do you're homework and get lucky you'll probably be able to find a decent guitar for an affordable price, but you'd more than likely need some help in getting around the various neighborhoods.

If you are looking for a Vintage go on G-Base and do a search of all New York Vintage dealers (Matt Umanov, etc.) Ohhh,...and expect to pay TOP prices!!! These are not PAWN shops and you will pay through the nose. The Pawn shop died with the growth of EBAY. If you are after a bargain (does one exist anymore??) try Craigslist or EBAY and just make sure that sellers are in the NY area....

I'd be vary wary with Craigslist. A lot of "Bait & Switch" muggings can take place as there is no security or buyer protection that you would finf on EBAY.

:unsure:

If you are looking for a Vintage go on G-Base and do a search of all New York Vintage dealers (Matt Umanov, etc.) Ohhh,...and expect to pay TOP prices!!! These are not PAWN shops and you will pay through the nose. The Pawn shop died with the growth of EBAY. If you are after a bargain (does one exist anymore??) try Craigslist or EBAY and just make sure that sellers are in the NY area....

I'd be vary wary with Craigslist. A lot of "Bait & Switch" muggings can take place as there is no security or buyer protection that you would finf on EBAY.

:unsure:

what do you mean "bait and switch" muggings.. what do they do??

what do you mean "bait and switch" muggings.. what do they do??

The supposed seler gets you to come to a meeting place with the Cash and then mugs ya......

Happened to a buddy of mine who was from outta town...

[crying]

Make life simple and enjoyable -- just go out to Mandolin Bros. on Staten Island. The ferry ride to Staten Island is enjoyable and you will find a wonderful selection of guitars when you arrive. You're after a good guitar. Don't worry about getting the lowset possible price. What you want is a very good guitar at a fair price. The lowest possible price will always be from a private party rather than a dealer but you will have fewer safeguards buying form an individual. Mandolin Bros. is extremely reputable, helpful, and knowledgeable. Instruments will be described honestly and if they think a less expensive instrument would fit your needs better than a more expensive one, they will tell you so. If you pay slightly more, the peace of mind will be worth it and the small price difference will be quickly forgotten while the enjoyment of the instrument will last a long time.

Hi folks!

Thank you very much for taking your time and giving me such an amount of good advice. I really appreciate it!

I´ve been to NYC a few times due to my daughter living there. I bougth a Seagull in Rudy´s and sang some songs and played the guitar halv an hour in Times Square - just for fun. But it wasn´t kind of guitar I liked and I sold it in Finland.

I never went to pawn ships or Staten Island or many of those shops mentioned, though. Maybe I´ll this time visit Mandolin Brothers - if I find a way there.

So no pawn shops? I thougth I´ll get a fine guitar cheap in those places. Or maybe not!

Anyhow, this´ll be very exciting trip for me in search of - maybe a fine Gibson which have been my dream for decades.

Once again, thank you all!

Pawn shops are not a good bet for you. It is rare, indeed, to find even a decent guitar in a pawn shop these days. If they get a good guitar in, they never display it, they just sell it on ebay. As for bang for buck, I would recommend you visit reputable stores and find a good used guitar.

Pawn shops are not a good bet for you. It is rare, indeed, to find even a decent guitar in a pawn shop these days. If they get a good guitar in, they never display it, they just sell it on ebay. As for bang for buck, I would recommend you visit reputable stores and find a good used guitar.

Thank you "livemusic". I guess I´ll have to forget pawn shops and try in other places. I really appreciate the help you and the other members have given me - a Country boy with so much to learn.

Archived