Gibson Brands Forums

Can someone help me with this? SG Year?

jorgen

Hi

New here, I come from sweden and i have an old SG with 6 number (172704) that i will restore and i looked at the pot and the number is 1377412. I wonder if anyone can help me to tell what year it is made and what model?

The pot code is from the 12th week of 1974. The serial number compared to the date code on the pots would confirm 1974.

Neither number has anything to do with model designation, photos are required for that information.

The pot code is from the 12th week of 1974. The serial number compared to the date code on the pots would confirm 1974.

Neither number has anything to do with model designation, photos are required for that information.

I shall try to take some photos. I think there have been p90 pickups, someone have carved in the body for humbuckers and one single coil in the middle! yes crazy! the neck have pearl inlay but no bindings, have been cherry red but now brown.

there is some question marks. 1: the neck pickup position, on all Sg standard from this year i have seen it closer to the neck. 2. The headstock is black with only Gibson logo on it, nothing else. I don't have the pickguard but i have find a orginal pickguard from a 75 SG that i will use, i waiting for it and maybe i have to move the neck pickup closer to the neck. Just have to wait and see. Later when all grindig and filling is done i will paint it White :)

I would get a '66 pickguard over that - don't 'fill the hole'

that could be used later for something strange..

anyhow that would be an easy cover.

this.

that's some nice wood that was hand selected and it's too nice to cover up. consider keeping it the way it is and mod another guitar if you want a custom. one small change i'd make: get black screws for the pickup rings.

• 4 months later...

Now i'm almost done with the renovation :) I Put a Dirty fingers humbucker in bridge and a duncan 57 in neck, i also change the bridge and machine heads to gold. The orignal from 1974 is the neck and body, electronics and the pickguard. New gibson parts is the stop bar and the tune o matic bridge. The machine heads is grover and the knobs is not original but i will change them later. I need to solder the pickups and put som strap button on it thats all.

post-31824-025281800 1312045792_thumb.jpg

post-31824-071543600 1312045802_thumb.jpg

post-31824-075423400 1312045810_thumb.jpg

Archived