Gibson Brands Forums

Back after many years

Stewie

I have owned an SG since 1969. It is a 1968 SG Special with P90s and the Vibrolo. I played a little back in the 60s and life and other things got in the way, so I put the guitar aside. I always kept it in a nice environment and sold my Super Reverb amp. Over the years I would pull it out and clean it and mess around on a headphone amp called a Rockman.

When I decided I would take an early retirement (because I could) I needed a hobby, so I bought a new Fender Strat and Champ amp. Since then I have gone on to buy and sell over 25 electric guitars and still own 18. Mostly Strats and LPs. I rarely played the SG and was all hyped by the Strat/LP craze that exists today.

Out of sheer boredom with the Strats and LPs I pulled out my SG. Wham! it hit me right in the forehead. This guitar is just about perfect. Lightweight, great access to the frets, the lowest action of any of my guitars, and it sounds and plays amazing.

I was looking for a guitar to leave at my vacation residence and I decided to try an EPI G400. I picked up a 2007 reasonalby cheap, but had to tweak it with a Fret level. It sounds and plays great. After playing that one, and figuring I would be losing it for 6 to 8 months of the year, I decided to look for a Gibson Standard. I found a 2004 on a local buy and sell in mint condition, for a ridiculously low price. I had it set up and new strings put on and it has an amazing low action. Almost as low as my 68.

Man I never put this guitar down. I am totally amazed at how this guitar just feels like it was custom made for me.

I can get just about any tone I want by adjusting the tone controls and volume.

I own an ES335 and Epi Sheraton so I do like the double cut, but the larger body on the semis make them bulky.

I don't play any of my other guitars at all and it knocks my socks off that the SG is not the premier selling guitar that Gibson makes. It is dirt cheap when you compare it to Les Pauls, and many many times easier to play.

Maybe some of you can clue me in to why you think the SG is such an overlooked instrument. For example I have all three Cross Roads DVDs and there is only one SG on all of them. And we all know who's that is.

All I can say is that I am very happy to be back. I just wish I hadn't wasted so much time.

The SG is not really overlooked, it is the best selling Gibson guitar of all time. Several of the most famous rock songs were played on an SG: "Sunshine of your Love", "Paranoid", "Highway to Hell", "Don't Fear the Reaper", "Iron Man", "Pinball Wizzard" and the whole Tommy rock opera, "School's Out", "Light my Fire"', "Black Magic Woman" and that's just the short list.

The SG is not really overlooked, it is the best selling Gibson guitar of all time. Several of the most famous rock songs were played on an SG: "Sunshine of your Love", "Paranoid", "Highway to Hell", "Don't Fear the Reaper", "Iron Man", "Pinball Wizzard" and the whole Tommy rock opera, "School's Out", "Light my Fire"', "Black Magic Woman" and that's just the short list.

I understand that, I bought mine in 69 because of that. It just seems to me that today, there is much more hype about the Les Paul and the Strat than the SG. Clapton, Santana, The Who, Black Sabath, were all using them in the 60s and 70s. Not so much lateley.

Most everybody these days are using Ibanez, ESP, and Schecters. You don't see near as many Les Pauls these days as you used to either. Come to think of it, I see more Teles than Strats played by artists lately. The way I see it, play what you like, who cares what Joe Blow is playing.

That is a cool movie, but it has nothing to do with people playing or not playing SGs. It's mainly dealing with the Gibson vs Fender battle. The SG is like the Les Paul's bastard half-brother, but I think that's why I love them so much.

That is a cool movie, but it has nothing to do with people playing or not playing SGs. It's mainly dealing with the Gibson vs Fender battle. The SG is like the Les Paul's bastard half-brother, but I think that's why I love them so much.

watch it again, you missed something.

Most everybody these days are using Ibanez, ESP, and Schecters. You don't see near as many Les Pauls these days as you used to either. Come to think of it, I see more Teles than Strats played by artists lately. The way I see it, play what you like, who cares what Joe Blow is playing.

i have noticed quite a few people playing a different brands are lp and sg shaped guitars (didnt want to say copy)

Archived