Gibson Brands Forums

So my drummer is grounded... for a long time

Silenced Fred

I don't actually know what that means. Obviously it means he's failing school but what is GPA?

Grade Point Average, each grade is given a certain weight as Nathan posted and the classes are averaged. You have to try really hard to fail that miserably.

Back on topic, Why would your drummer being grounded stop you guys from playing? It doesn't sound like he follows rules, chances are he'll just climb out the window and start drumming.

He's weird. He rebels as long as he doesn't get into trouble. Like as soon as his parents found out, he stopped smoking, he's getting his grades back up, etc

Guest FarnsBarns

How do they do it in the UK? How do your schools decide who's doing well and who's doing poorly?

They leave it up to parents to work out that a load of D's the odd C and the Odd E is a D average and it's not good! That said, I went to a Rudolf Steiner school and they have an ethos of teaching people life skills and aren't hot on grades and stuff.

Back on topic, Why would your drummer being grounded stop you guys from playing? It doesn't sound like he follows rules, chances are he'll just climb out the window and start drumming.

Agreed. He's doing something wrong on purpose to be that bad off in school. So, as ^^poster^^ says, I find it hard to believe he would be against breaking rules. Just have him not go home that day and dont let his parents know the place you are going to go gig at. That was high school for me. I was perpetually "grounded" but I'd disappear for days at a time.

Not run away, just plan to not go home for a few days.

I should also mention that I'm not the best choice for advice. [thumbup]

He's weird. He rebels as long as he doesn't get into trouble. Like as soon as his parents found out, he stopped smoking, he's getting his grades back up, etc

Isn't that why one rebels? To do bad stuff?

Again, I'm in no way a role-model.

UhHuh, I've known fellers like that. They have Fonzie's Leather Jacket but no Motorcycle.

They leave it up to parents to work out that a load of D's the odd C and the Odd E is a D average and it's not good! That said, I went to a Rudolf Steiner school and they have an ethos of teaching people life skills and aren't hot on grades and stuff.

I had a hunch it was going to make more sense than our arbitrary grading system.

UhHuh, I've known fellers like that. They have Fonzie's Leather Jacket but no Motorcycle.

I had a hunch it was going to make more sense than our arbitrary grading system.

Yeah, I mean he is a great kid and one of my best friends, but it gets annoying because he is all about rebelling against his parents until they actually do something about it. He has picked up his grades, its now a 2.5 GPA. So he has a trip to go on over Spring Break and then after that he should be able to practice and everything

I thought I'd heard every sad excuse from drummers, over the years Ive seen them arrested, in detox, running from Ex-wife's, even had one do the unthinkable and get a real job once, but I never lost one because he was grounded. [unsure]

It's all good though Fred doing solo acoustic work is one of the most rewarding things a guitarist can do, small venues and good crowds can be a lot of fun.

I thought I'd heard every sad excuse from drummers, over the years Ive seen them arrested, in detox, running from Ex-wife's, even had one do the unthinkable and get a real job once, but I never lost one because he was grounded. [unsure]

It's all good though Fred doing solo acoustic work is one of the most rewarding things a guitarist can do, small venues and good crowds can be a lot of fun.

Well, I mean he is only 16, turns 17 in a few months. I mean its good his parents want him to not **** up his life, and it did hit him really hard that he couldn't play drums until he got his grades up. I'm pissed, but glad that he is setting himself straight.

He should be able to start practicing again next week, but I mean the moment he called me and said he couldn't make it to practice because he's grounded for an indefinite time because he is failing like all of his classes, is ditching and his parents found out he is smoking, was not fun at all.

Might be playing an acoustic show tomorrow night if I can get everything set for it. Nervous as hell :unsure:

Well, I mean he is only 16, turns 17 in a few months. I mean its good his parents want him to not **** up his life, and it did hit him really hard that he couldn't play drums until he got his grades up. I'm pissed, but glad that he is setting himself straight.

He should be able to start practicing again next week, but I mean the moment he called me and said he couldn't make it to practice because he's grounded for an indefinite time because he is failing like all of his classes, is ditching and his parents found out he is smoking, was not fun at all.

Might be playing an acoustic show tomorrow night if I can get everything set for it. Nervous as hell :unsure:

Play Tenacious D, those are good for acoustic nights, with children.

Play Tenacious D, those are good for acoustic nights, with children.

Yeah... maybe not. Gonna bust out a few originals that have never been seen (hear) before, a few covers, and just see how it goes over. My college is having a big show for all over the area on April 29th, so I'm going to see if I will have to play that solo acoustic as well, or if I can get everyone together for it.

So far, projected setlist for tomorrow night if it happens is:

two originals (one by me, one by my friend)

One Wing- Wilco

When the Night Comes - Dan Auerbach

and then we are going over our other material tonight to figure out what to do, not sure of the time constraints. It's just an open mic at my old high school

In my town the best drummer (not even for how skilled) was my buddy who got saddled with rehab and escaped during the shift change to make it to a gig we had the next day. He was actually able to crash with me, play the gig and then wait till shift change in the morning to get back in. They only caught Joel because he didnt check in the pervious day for his detox meds.

Resulted in him having an ankle monitor for the duration of the detox treatment (which consequently started alll over again)

Now that is dedication.

Later that month the rehab center got into a pickle when the news reported that the employees were busted smoking pot/crack while the "in-mates" (term coined by joel) were supposed to asleep during lights out time.

All in all, I was impressed.

Archived