Gibson Brands Forums

High End Guitar Case?

Danner

I'm not aware of any besides the Caltons and the like. I'm now going to take my existing Gibson Western Classic 200 case to a buddy with a leather working shop. Will see what he would charge me to deconstruct that case and customize it to spec along the lines of the one that got away... hand tooled faux leather exterior and cowhide interior. Could be a fun little project.

I have travelled a lot of miles with a guitar in a Calton case.

Always with no problems.

Except once:

IMGP6598.jpg

It just goes to show that no matter how well-protected you think you are, there's always an exception! [scared]

One of the handlers (flight from San Diego to Vancouver) must have gotten a new record for SOMEthing with that case, as the case itself sustained some damage at the lower bout, the energy of which clearly was transmitted to the corresponding spot on that J-185.

Al of Calton had the case repaired for me, and I got that back from the airline, but the airline never stepped up to catch any costs related to the guitar inside the case.

So despite this (what I consider to be exceptional) instance, I still like Calton cases a lot and continue to use them.

Fred

Yeah Fred, did you gate check the Gibson or check it as baggage? I have a Calton for my HD-28V and although it can get old carrying it, gate checking is the safest in my opinion. However, some gutars like a Gibson J-200 in a Calton (or any case for that matter), won't fit in any overhead bin, so you end up checking it as baggage.

I'm now going to take my existing Gibson Western Classic 200 case to a buddy with a leather working shop. Will see what he would charge me to deconstruct that case and customize it to spec along the lines of the one that got away... hand tooled faux leather exterior and cowhide interior. Could be a fun little project.

No doubt you were serious about that loss. Will look forward to hear about the upcoming enterprise. Now you can decide every flavour and style of cow.

Here I just feel lucky about the semi-soft 60ties croc-case that brought my SJ 63 safely overseas. Inside was a load of newspaper-balls and an old leather patch at the size and shape of a 335 body.

The case, of course, was placed in a normal cart-box with a snow storm of white chips around it. So glad the fragile old neck survived.

Spent 47 years somewhere in Ohio, now living an extra incarnation within this temple of beat. Better write a poem – so must you, , , ouuh, forgot that's what you're doin'. ..

Archived