Gibson Brands Forums

Problem with Grover Lockers

KWJ

Ok,

I've tried to find the answer all over the place, and am at the mercy of this forum. I bought my first 2010 Les Paul Standard a couple months ago, my first electric, actually. I'm not a newb with guitars, but I definitely am with the grover locking tuners.

My problem: the machine heads aren't unlocking. I loosed my first string, and kept turning the peg, applying light tension on the string to find the sweet spot where it would open up. What happened instead, was that the string just broke, right where it threads through the machinehead, which is not opening up, no matter how many times I turn it. As a result, there's a 1/8th of an inch section of string stuck in there, and, because it's not opening up, I can't re-string the SOB.

Am I missing something totally obvious here, or is my suspicion that I need to apply some kind of oil correct?

From what you're saying, I'm not sure if your turning the key or the lock.

The Grovers I have - the lock is the thumbwheel on the underside of the machine body attached to the back of the headstock. When you unscrew it, a pin inside the tuning post backs down away from the sting hole. Then you can remove the string. You thread in the new string, screw-in the thumbwheel and the inner pin goes up and pinches the string in place (kind of like a vise). The tuning keys work as they normal would.

I also have a factory set from Gibson where the top of the tuning peg is a thumbwheel and works the same way - like a vise on the string in the post's string hole.

There's also the auto-locking variety.

Sorry if you know all this. It could be that the inner locking mechanism is broken, in which case you might have to replace the tuner.

From what you're saying, I'm not sure if your turning the key or the lock.

The Grovers I have - the lock is the thumbwheel on the underside of the machine body attached to the back of the headstock. When you unscrew it, a pin inside the tuning post backs down away from the sting hole. Then you can remove the string. You thread in the new string, screw-in the thumbwheel and the inner pin goes up and pinches the string in place (kind of like a vise). The tuning keys work as they normal would.

I also have a factory set from Gibson where the top of the tuning peg is a thumbwheel and works the same way - like a vise on the string in the post's string hole.

There's also the auto-locking variety.

Sorry if you know all this. It could be that the inner locking mechanism is broken, in which case you might have to replace the tuner.

Thanks for your response, BigKahune. I realized that the thumbwheel (lock) simply wouldn't turn with the force of my fingers alone. I discovered this problem on each of the six machines. When I used a pliers to lightly turn them counterclockwise, they 'unlocked' immediately, and the inner pin dropped down! This was the set of strings that came on the Les Paul when I bought it, and first time changing them...so I'm guessing that they hadn't been turned in quite a while.

Hopefully this helps whoever else gets stuck with this, and thanks again.

Archived