Gibson Brands Forums

Ding repair for dummies

icantbuyafender

i went with spackle, but once it falls out, would this work?

Elmer's wood filler

i want something that can be permanent and last over time.

is this any better? or is the nail polish route the road to go?

I figured id use a dropper to drop in more than enough of said product, and use a busted .08 guitar string to run over the length of the neck, removing any product that is higher than the rest of the finish, then after it dries, use the softest sand paper i can buy to smooth it down.

being OCD about the way the neck feels is really driving me nuts.

Id rather a PRO do it, but this area isnt luthier city. [crying]

So... comments?

is it an actual dent in the wood, or just missing layers of finish?

is it a nitro or poly finished guitar?

how large an area are you referring to?

I used to "sweat" dents out of fine gunstocks with a steam iron and terrycloth towel, but the steam would get under poly and cause a world of problems.......not so much w/nitro, but it still would require caution as to time/temp/H2O level.

If it's just missing finish...build it up in multiple layers and let it dry COMPLETELY before any sanding/steel wooling.......

is it an actual dent in the wood, or just missing layers of finish?

is it a nitro or poly finished guitar?

how large an area are you referring to?

I used to "sweat" dents out of fine gunstocks with a steam iron and terrycloth towel, but the steam would get under poly and cause a world of problems.......not so much w/nitro, but it still would require caution as to time/temp/H2O level.

If it's just missing finish...build it up in multiple layers and let it dry COMPLETELY before any sanding/steel wooling.......

Dent in the wood.

the finish is a worn white, on my melody maker.

I remember your ding and your thread........Dings are no big deal..Play the damn thing, and ding it up more, thats what guitars are for; to make music and noise.............

A perfect guitar is like a trophy wife............Pretty and pointless..............

if this is the dent on the neck,i know how you feel i had one it drove me nuts. but mine was a bolt neck so i just put a new neck on.

you can fill it with nail polish but do it in multiple thin layers and let each layer dry before the next.

Super glue in several thin layers will work too. And super glue will be clear when it is thoroughly dried! Nail polish is good too, but do you wanna go in to a store and buy it? lol

Im going to rub the neck dings with some water to remove the spackle and just go the super glue route

I saw a tube of super glue that comes in a dropper/syringe type deal. To prevent "OH $H!t" moments.

then just sand the thing lightly.

it bugs me cause i can feel it at the 5th position and it aint comfy.

Nail polish... i could borrow from a lady friend... but super glue seems more permanent and seems it would last soooo much longer...

The reason this guitar means so much is cause it took me 3 years to track one down and i use it for a couple of songs during gigs. the pickups are lowered super low so its buttery smooth and soft sounding. Not overly bright as a stock MM reissue can get, especially the bridge position! The lead part i take is mostly 5th position so its the ding is bugging the hell out of me.

Archived