Gibson Brands Forums

My New Gibson Hummingbird TV Limited Edition

Kingsy

Hello everyone.

This is my first post on the forums here. I have just got myself a gibson hummingbird (the true vintage limited edition). Boy am I happy with it, it sounds like a DREAM however i have a couple of questions.

The strings that were on it when I bought the guitar was a set of 13's, these are WAY to heavy for me so I have purchased a nice set of 11's to stick on it.

However on a related topic at the moment with the 13's on it the action at the 12th fret is about 3.5 - 4mm from the top of the fret to the start of the string. Is this because of the weight of the string? i.e will the action reduce when a lighter string is applied?

What is the recommended action for a guitar like this? I am assuming a minimum height is recommended to prevent any fret buzzing? At the moment I can say that my hummingbird doesn't buzz at all I cant even force it to, which is great. So after I have applied these new strings in a couple of days when they arrive should I look into getting the action lowered if its still 3.5mm at the 12th? Or is this generally the action height used by all?

I am at work at the moment but if anyone is interested I can post a few snaps of my bird later today.

I am looking forward to hearing about this.

Thanks everyone.

Chris

Hi Chris, and welcome to the forum !

I would recommend 12's on the HB, i think you will find 11's are not enough to get decent vibration fron the top. I use DR Sunbeams 12's on my SJ and 13's on the CW as it needs the heavier weight due to fairly strong bracing.

The action i normally aim for is around 3.2mm, so yours is quite a big above.

Try the 12's first and then see how the action works. You might need to sand down the saddle a little to bring down the action. I had to do this with my SWD.

Hope that helps.

cheers.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I was thinking the action was a little high, should I be sanding the saddle down myself? is it easy enough to do? how can I be sure I don't make a mistake?

I have ordered 11's now so I am going to try them out first, so you think a 3.2mm action?

So I would literally just take the strings off, remove the saddle and sand it down? what happens if I sand it too much? or if I change the strings again and the action is too low and it buzzes?

Thanks

Chris

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I was thinking the action was a little high, should I be sanding the saddle down myself? is it easy enough to do? how can I be sure I don't make a mistake?

I have ordered 11's now so I am going to try them out first, so you think a 3.2mm action?

So I would literally just take the strings off, remove the saddle and sand it down? what happens if I sand it too much? or if I change the strings again and the action is too low and it buzzes?

Thanks

Chris

Chris, first, I would not recommend 11's. I would not go lower than 12's. Your fingers will get tougher, just play. As for sanding the saddle, if you are exceptionally good with your hands, you could consider it but only after careful research on how to do this. It's not brain surgery but still, you can screw it up. Of course, you might just have to buy another saddle and that's not too costly. But, if after research, you don't feel you can do it right, take it to a tech. It's not too expensive. I think frets.com has info on how to do it yourself.

Would love to see pics of your git. I'd love to have one!

i would take the guitar to a luthier or good guiter tech and get a full 'set up' which means he would take a look at the saddle, neck angle, frets, and make the appropriate adjustments. He might also tweak the truss rod. It doesnt cost much and its a worth while investment.

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks

Chris

Well I am starting to think that just putting the lower gauge string on might lower the action somewhat itself.

If that doesn't help I think I will have to seek out a tech to take a look at it, I mean I am confident in sanding the saddle down myself but what if the truss rod needs adjusting? I wouldn't know.

I am at work at the moment so I will post some pics of my bird tonight when I get in.

... I have just got myself a gibson hummingbird (the true vintage limited edition). ... i have a couple of questions. ...

Welcome

And congrats on yer new Bird.

String gauge - As others have said, don't go lower that 12. And if you do go from 13 to 12, you might need some adjustments to the relief and action.

Moving to a lighter gauge set of strings will lower the action. The lighter gauge strings produce less tension (pull). The neck relief might flatten out a bit too.

Recommended action - EA has given you a good number - 3.2mm

Saddle sanding - detune enough to slip the saddle out. Use a surface you know is very flat, and tape a piece of fine sandpaper to it. Carefully move the saddle back and forth on the sandpaper being careful to keep the bottom of the saddle flat (no tipping one way or the other). Do a few passes and put the saddle back in and tune to see where you are. Repeat until you reach your desired height.

On the other hand, as EA recommended, taking it to a shop/luthier you trust for a complete setup would be worth it. Decide on the strings and action you want to use and direct the shop/luthier to setup your Bird for those strings.

Waiting to see your pics. B)

Hey again everyone,

I have managed to get in touch with a good luthier in my area who said he would give it a full setup for a decent price so I think that would be best.

He pretty much agreed with you guys and suggested I stuck a set of 12's on it so I think that is what I am going to go for.

I have attached a few pictures of my bird for all to see.

I would like to see what all you guys that see and play gibsons everyday think of her. I am in love.

Chris.

post-31969-058723100 1300997786_thumb.jpg

post-31969-098542200 1300997790_thumb.jpg

post-31969-035630300 1300997794_thumb.jpg

post-31969-049781500 1300997799_thumb.jpg

post-31969-008957000 1300997804_thumb.jpg

post-31969-036543000 1300997808_thumb.jpg

Beautiful burst on that bird indeed! But 3.2 as a recommendation sounds even waaaay high, at least imho. My standard bird is at app. 2.7.

I would try 12s, but also would not completely write off the 13s, cause they will feel a tat lighter once your action is appropriate.

Dont you get string buzz at 2.7mm, thats very low ?

I like it at 3.2mm as i find its still easy to play lead but also allows me to dig in a little which i quite like to do.

Beautiful burst on that bird indeed! But 3.2 as a recommendation sounds even waaaay high, at least imho. My standard bird is at app. 2.7.

I would try 12s, but also would not completely write off the 13s, cause they will feel a tat lighter once your action is appropriate.

Yeah, I am going talk to my luthier about that.. I am going to get the lowest action I can without ANY buzz..

I had a bad buzz problem with my freshman and the way this bird sings it would be a shame to lower it too much.

Glad you guys like it [thumbup]

Yeah, I am going talk to my luthier about that.. I am going to get the lowest action I can without ANY buzz..

I had a bad buzz problem with my freshman and the way this bird sings it would be a shame to lower it too much.

Glad you guys like it [thumbup]

It's a beauty, for sure. One more thing... I don't know if you like to tune down a half step (I do) but if so, 13's would probably be better.

I see why you're vibrating. A true beauty, , , a true love affair. The c-burst is very even - it comes close to back, sides and neck which gives the guitar a strong personality.

Where did you get it. Looks a bit like one removed from the Bay a few days ago. And when is it from. 90ties, early 00's ?

Hundred happy hours to you both.

I see why you're vibrating. A true beauty, , , a true love affair. The c-burst is very even - it comes close to back, sides and neck which gives the guitar a strong personality.

Where did you get it. Looks a bit like one removed from the Bay a few days ago. And when is it from. 90ties, early 00's ?

Hundred happy hours to you both.

It looks like the 2008 TV Limited Edition. I only know because I used to have one...<sniff>...

Hey guys,

I am glad everyone likes it. It really is the nicest guitar I have ever played.

Its a 2008 True Vintage Model, but the limited edition (23 of 167).

I am getting her set up tomorrow so I am looking forward to that.

And haha no thats not a rabbit its my cat "dylan".

I appriciate the feedback guys.

Just dont let that cat too close to your case ... he migth want to make it 'his' in the way cats like to do ... if you know what i mean ..;-)

Hey guys,

I am glad everyone likes it. It really is the nicest guitar I have ever played.

Its a 2008 True Vintage Model, but the limited edition (23 of 167).

I am getting her set up tomorrow so I am looking forward to that.

And haha no thats not a rabbit its my cat "dylan".

I appriciate the feedback guys.

One word of caution if you decide to take a little off your saddle. Take the smallest amount possible. Use fine grit (440) sandpaper.Set up two blockes creating a channel to slide the saddle back and forth in. Otherwise, your hand/wrist action will rock and your saddle bottome will be slightly rounded.

Also - I can honestly state that I know how you feel. UPS delivered my Hummingbird TV on Thursday! Got it at GC. Not a Limited Edition - but a 2010. I was prepared to be blown away - but words are woefully inadequate. I guess the face is tobacco. I can't stand to put it down at night. My wife thinks I need a shrink, more now than ever. Enjoy - I must commend you on your good taste ! :) Jim

Quick update.

I got my bird back from the luthier today. He has lowered the action down to 3mm on the nose and stuck a set of 12's on there.

It plays even better now, The 12's are heavy enough to still get a nice vibration through the body but light enough so my fingers dont feel like they are going to snap off, hehe which is nice.

It also has no buzz at all which is awesome.

I am a happy man now that my bird is truely singing the way she should be.

Chris

Jim - Lovely looking guitars there. Looks like we are both lucky guys, the TV line really is living up to its expectations.

Dont you get string buzz at 2.7mm, thats very low ?

Sorry for my late response. No buzz here at 2.7, only a tiny bit when I strum it to death (which I occasionally do :rolleyes: ). When I check a couple of references, I see a lot of different recommendations for action 'band width'. Strange...

Archived