Gibson Brands Forums

Amplifier advice

altair

I've taken the questionnaire from another topic in this forum and put my answers in as best I could.

I hope you guys can help me.

How much would you like to spend?

Around €450

What's the absolutely most you will spend?

If I go over €500, I'm dead. Sorta.

How many years have you played guitar?

Two years and a couple of months

Do you seek tone quality or versatility?

I'm looking for tone, my guitar provides versatility. I'd prefer tubes, for dynamic tone.

What is your primary guitar (include pup type and configuration)?

Vintage AV3P semi-hollowbody with 3 P-90 pups.

What style(s) of music do you primarily play?

Blues, funk, oldschool rock

What one guitarist do you wish to emulate?

I'm not looking to copy someone's sound, I want my own.

Do you prefer to plug straight in, or will you be using effects?

Effects loop would certainly be nice to have, although my use of effects will be minimal.

What will be the primary use of the amp?

jam with friends (guitars, bass, drums, etc.)

gigs (small venues)

The new amp should have enough oomph to provide clean headroom over the drums

Do you prefer a combo or head/cabinet (and why)?

I don't have a preference for either, but I think my price range will most likely have me looking at combo's.

What amplifier(s) do you have/had and why do you want a change?

I currently have a Kustom HV30 hybrid, it's fine for practice but it can't hold up against a fanatic drummer.

Please list five amps (minimum) that you have researched

Ibanez TSA15H+C - Immediately fell in love with its tone, but I'm afraid it's not loud enough :(

Kustom Defender - 50W tubes, might hold against drums, but I've heard people complain that its tone starts to suffer when you crank the volume. No effects loop. Still, it's on my list to try.

Fender Hotrod Deluxe (2nd hand): Something tells me this one will fit my Vintage perfectly, but again: enough clean? It's on my list to try.

Hughes&Kettner Statesman - its tone didn't really "do" something to me.

Peavey Classic 30 - nice tone, but lacks the headroom.

I doubt very much for your price and use of pedals you use that you should be even considering an effects loop. It will have really no use for you.

The blues deluxe or hot rod deluxe is an anp that is never truly great, but VERY useful as it always sounds good enough for a variety of things and more than enough to play a gig with a drummer.

I have never owned a peavey classic, but I have played though them and I am very impressed with the sound quality from such an inexpensive amp.

For just about anything except metal or high gain overdrive things, about the BEST value you could get is a second hand silverfaced fender. Even a deluxe reverb is plenty to gig with and will keep up with any drummer.

I doubt that any amp under 500 Euro will do everything you want --- that's the trouble with low budget gear, its a big compromise. To stay under your price, consider either used or a bottom end "mod-to-suit" unit (like a VJr. V3) plus pedals/effects.

Plug into everything that comes your way (okay, maybe not everything, use some judgement - ha) and have fun with your search.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on B)

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

Wiggy, I've been considering Epi gear too, but I can't find any stores around close enough for me to go and try. There was one, but for some reason they dropped the amps from their inventory. Would a BC30 be loud enough to stay clean (or clean enough) over drums? If so, I'd be prepared to put in more effort to try one.

Pete, the Blackheart is 15W just like the Ibanez I tried. You think the Blackheart will provide more clean headroom than the Ibanez?

Steve, I'm certainly considering buying used [smile]

Couldn't afford the Hotrod new hehe.

Would a BC30 be loud enough to stay clean (or clean enough) over drums? If so, I'd be prepared to put in more effort to try one

Oh Yes - not in the sense of something like a Fender Twin (max clean headroom = watts) but the BC30 is more than capable of giving you what you're looking for. If you're lookoing for clean headroom I'd forget VJr's - great little maps aft6er mods but no cleans.

Don't say where you're based but I'm assuming US so 2nd hand blackface Fenders a great option

Oh Yes - not in the sense of something like a Fender Twin (max clean headroom = watts) but the BC30 is more than capable of giving you what you're looking for. If you're lookoing for clean headroom I'd forget VJr's - great little maps aft6er mods but no cleans.

Don't say where you're based but I'm assuming US so 2nd hand blackface Fenders a great option

I've started a hunt for the Red Oct... I mean, the Blues Custom, but it's hard to find! So far I've found two stores that have it in their online shop, but both showing out-of-stock. Haven't found any used, either. Which I think is a good sign, people don't want to let it go :)

Soon I'll have to go and pick up the phone to call shops that don't have a webshop.

Oh and I'm from the other side of the big pond, actually. Perhaps you overlooked the €-sign in my opening post?

Blackfaced Fenders are way over budget, even 2nd hand. :(

Again, thanks for your help guys!

I just picked up a Fender Mustang III. 100 Watts SS, 12" Celestion Speaker, and with all the modeling you can get ANY tone you want with the FUSE software. Price = $299 in the US. I wouldn't know how much in Euro's.. Check one out.

Hey guys,

The Mustang certainly looks nice, but I'm already using a Pod XTLive plus my Kustom HV30 to emulate any sound and effect I could possibly imagine. And I find myself only using one or two "presets". So I guess I've found the sound I'm looking for, and now I want the "real deal". I'm done with modelling. By the way, if anyone else reading this has just started out on his/her guitar journey, modelling amps are perfect to search for that sound you love. So I hope you're not misreading me, I'm certainly not bashing my gear or the Mustang. I'm just at a point where I'm ready to move on. :)

Thanks for the help!

PS I just got back from another band practice session, and it's AMAZING to be able to make music with a bunch of people. I've learned to play more songs in the last two weeks than I've taught myself in the months before that! It's so inspiring!

Hey guys,

The Mustang certainly looks nice, but I'm already using a Pod XTLive plus my Kustom HV30 to emulate any sound and effect I could possibly imagine. And I find myself only using one or two "presets". So I guess I've found the sound I'm looking for, and now I want the "real deal". I'm done with modelling. By the way, if anyone else reading this has just started out on his/her guitar journey, modelling amps are perfect to search for that sound you love. So I hope you're not misreading me, I'm certainly not bashing my gear or the Mustang. I'm just at a point where I'm ready to move on. :)

Thanks for the help!

PS I just got back from another band practice session, and it's AMAZING to be able to make music with a bunch of people. I've learned to play more songs in the last two weeks than I've taught myself in the months before that! It's so inspiring!

No problem altair. THX.

I think I got my shortlist ready:

1) Laney VC30 1x12 (or 2x12 if I happen to run into one used)

2) Epiphone Blues Custom 30

3) Hughes&Kettner Statesman Quad

4) Peavey Classic 30

I will be looking for used on all of these, although I might be in luck for new: stores are starting to clean up for the new stock next month, after the Frankfurt Musikmesse.

Another thought = = = amp kits

You don't have to build them..., you just have to know somebody [sneaky][unsure][wink]

I finally took this route and have a killer amp for acceptable $$ (around $1,600 all-in for a tweaked custom plexi that I paid a cohort to build -- I could have done it for even less but anybody who has read my posts over the years knows I hate building gear).

Link here to one good source if interested (there are others) ---> amp kits link

BTW the link is to the "tweed" line b/c I thought it the best match for Altair, but other kit versions are there just click away.

<and don't panic Epi dudes, I still love and use my VJr. V3s -- just not exclusively> [omg]

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on [cool]

Another thought = = = amp kits

You don't have to build them..., you just have to know somebody [sneaky][unsure][wink]

I finally took this route and have a killer amp for acceptable $$ (around $1,600 all-in for a tweaked custom plexi that I paid a cohort to build -- I could have done it for even less but anybody who has read my posts over the years knows I hate building gear).

Link here to one good source if interested (there are others) ---> amp kits link

BTW the link is to the "tweed" line b/c I thought it the best match for Altair, but other kit versions are there just click away.

Now that's an interesting idea, I've never thought of that! Also looks like a good place to get components for modding, although I'm not exactly mr. "do-it-yerself". My late grandfather would have loved this, he was an avid HAMmer and he used to build his own (tube) transceivers. He probably had all the components in his radio room to build a dozen killer amps :lol:

I've found an Epiphone BC30 on our local version of CL. It's the ONLY BC30 for sale within reasonable distance (read: BeNeLux and part of Germany). I'm in contact with the seller to go and test the amp this week.

He has informed me that the amp has had no modifications and still has the original tubes. So I'm already calculating the replacement of the tubes. What else should I be looking for when I test the amp? Which questions should I ask the seller?

Questions I have in mind:

- Did you gig with this amp?

- How long have you not played it?

- Did you have any problems with it and how did you fix it?

- How have you maintained the amp?

- Why are you selling it?

(I've already asked him if it was modded and if tubes had been replaced)

Thanks for your help!

PS If I take this amp home, I might buy an Okko Twinsonic pedal to go with it. Should be sounding oh so sweet...

• 1 month later...

Archived