Gibson Brands Forums

Do they setup guitars are the factory?

photoweborama

Mahogony necks are much softer than maple-there is no need really for a bi-flex type of system.

Also, if you are used to adjusting the truss rod on a strat, be aware it takes a lot less on a Gibby. Only do 1/4 turn at the MOST between checking it. It usually only takes 1/8 turn to see a good difference.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip man, i appreciate it!

I think there's always a tendency to do things on the "safe" side of adjustment in manufacturing. Consequently, most new production guitars I see have the nut slots cut too high (as this is safer than cutting them too low), the action set on the high side of normal, and a little too much relief in the neck (less likely to buzz when played hard).

These are not my preferences, so I learned to do the setup I like. This involved buying a $90 set of nut files, various tools, and 30 years of trial and error. However, I can now get almost any decent instrument to play the way I like it. The point, however, is that everybody's preferred set-up is different. One person's "perfect from the factory" is my "high action with too much relief"

I'm not saying that there aren't sometimes Qc failures, or that these are excusable, but sometimes the perceived quality problems in a new instrument stem simply for not understanding how to adjust the instrument to feel the way YOU want it to. (By example. my friend that travelled to three states and played about 20 Les Pauls before finding "the one." - I suspect he spent a fortune in gas and time looking for one that was set up to his taste, something his local luthier would have done for $40-50.)

Archived