Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with pickups

PJ Guidry

Just purchased a Gibson Sg special and looking to replace the pickups. I had four pickups in mind: '57 classic, Burstbucker Pro, SD Pearly Gates or SD Slash pickups. If anyone has any feed back about any of the pickups or have any better suggestions for pickups that would be greatly appreciated.

It's all down to personal taste and aspiration in the end

And likely amp choice and settings

SD have a great range to suit many styles

And Bareknuckle have a good reputation

Coil tap with 4 conductor pickups can offer real interesting tone options....

V

:-({|=

Let me know what you come up with because I just got a faded SG special today and I must say it's one of the easiest playing guitars I've ever played.

I'm seriously considering replacing the 490r / 490t pick-ups though, I was leaning more towards the SD Jazz in the neck and possibly Gibson Dirty Fingers in the bridge. [thumbup]

To echo what Colin said above, don't swap your stock pups out before giving them a chance. 490s are PAF style pickups just like '57 classics but they have a modern take with their 4 conductor wires (as aftermarket at least). Otherwise, they're wax potted and have even windings like the '57 classics. If you want mismatched windings and no wax potting then the burstbucker range fills that niche.

490s actually have quite a nice top end bite and mids boost. To me, they're not in the slightest bit muddy and that 490T, despite having low impedence, takes high gain settings very well..........anything you can throw at it- right up to thrash metal.

I have the JB/Jazz combo in one of my Epi LPs and they're great in a darker sounding guitar but I wouldn't put these in an SG because of the amount of attack/bite with that thin mahogany body.

So, experiment with your guitar controls, amp settings and effects and get used to your 490s before making any hasty decisions.

Alan

The stock pups in the faded are close to the 57's. I'd say check out a 61 RI to hear the 57's or a Standard to hear the hotter 496/498 and if you can find a GC with there 60's standard for the 57/BB3 combo or checkout the P90 specials for something total different.

imo you cant go wrong with 57 classic in the neck and 57 classic+ in the bridge

I agree

just did the swap myself a couple of weeks ago sounds sweet!

I had SD Slash Alnico 2 pro's in there at one point too and they were great but I put them in my les paul now

so far both pickup swaps from the 498 etc stock pickups proved to be more what I was looking for

Archived