Gibson Brands Forums

WHATIZIT ? QUIZ

retrorod

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!!

It actually is a vibrato bar. I have seen it before, but can't remember all the details.

Well, it may be a vibrato bar (whatever that is [wink] ) but it would still make a darn fine bottle opener [biggrin]

Alrighty then! Good guesses by all [thumbup] .....and one correct answer!

....Drum Roll Please.-.-.-.-.-.-.-The Winner IS....Riverside =D>

The gizmo is a vibrato device. The words under the Gibson logo are VIBRA REST.

Here is a pic of the bottom....

2857142280066230676S500x500Q85.jpg

I think it was designed for use on archtops(behind the bridge). The metal rods are removable and have 6 string grooves. You would run the strings over and under the bars. The headstock part on the 2 arms is length-adjustable and becomes the "whammy-bar" of sorts, to raise the string pitch.

I haven't been able to find out much more(date,origin,etc.)about this little "doodlebug".

Maybe Riverside will chime in. Whoops! He already did [wink]

Well, it may be a vibrato bar (whatever that is [wink] ) but it would still make a darn fine bottle opener [biggrin]

Karen, I like your idea about the bottle opener. That would make a 'sporting' one [thumbup]

You seemed to not be familiar with the 'vibrato bar'. It is used more with electrics rather than acoustic guitars.

Here is a link to the Bigsby B5 which is one of more popular of the simple 'standard' types..Bigsby B-5

Karen, I like your idea about the bottle opener. That would make a 'sporting' one [thumbup]

You seemed to not be familiar with the 'vibrato bar'. It is used more with electrics rather than acoustic guitars.

Here is a link to the Bigsby B5 which is one of more popular of the simple 'standard' types..Bigsby B-5

Ah yes! Now I know what it is! Learn something every day! I'll stop short of rigging one of those bad boys up on Magic tho' [biggrin]

Thanks for the additional info find [thumbup] I really like the box for the Ebay example! I noticed just a couple 'slight' differences between it from mine. Most notable is the absence of string grooves on the 2 removable rods.

I am curious if Gibson Inc. stamped and fabricated these 'in house' with other guitar hardware or where they made by another company(out-sourced)?

Happy to hear it is a rarity :)

Bravou ! - Such a rare and interesting artifact. With your permission I will sent both back, front and the quiz further to my guitarist. He plays the coolest late50ties matt red ES 333 and will be amazed.

Nov1010session.jpg

E-mi7, send away...

Thats a GOURGIOUS ES-330 in picture!

Archived