Gibson Brands Forums

Case Candy

Larry Lion

Folks

I just took delivery of my Antique Cherry -339, which supposedly came from Gibson to my dealer here in Canada. I specifically did not want a guitar that had been hanging on a dealer's wall, for obvious reasons, and I also expected to get what I will call "case candy" with it - possibly a manual, adjustment wrench(es), etc. All I got was a key to the hardshell case and a COA from the Custom Shop. What should I have received, before I do battle with my dealer? There was also no protective plastic shield layer on the pickguard. Excuse my ignorance, but I've been a Fender player up to now, this is my first new Gibson. I know case candy has no real value, but it would tell me if the dealer is honest or not.

BTW, I am very happy with the guitar itself.

Folks

I just took delivery of my Antique Cherry -339, which supposedly came from Gibson to my dealer here in Canada. I specifically did not want a guitar that had been hanging on a dealer's wall, for obvious reasons, and I also expected to get what I will call "case candy" with it - possibly a manual, adjustment wrench(es), etc. All I got was a key to the hardshell case and a COA from the Custom Shop. What should I have received, before I do battle with my dealer? There was also no protective plastic shield layer on the pickguard. Excuse my ignorance, but I've been a Fender player up to now, this is my first new Gibson. I know case candy has no real value, but it would tell me if the dealer is honest or not.

BTW, I am very happy with the guitar itself.

Same with my 339 bought last spring. Expected an owners manual, cleaning cloth, etc, only received the key and the COA. Had to go back to the shop at a later date to get a truss rod wrench...

I got a truss rod wrench and COA and QC check off list with my 339. With my 359 I got a COA and the check off list from Gibson and nothing else.

I have seen pictures of earlier 339s that had Gibson Cord, Truss Rod Wrench, COA, Quality check list, and a Cleaning Cloth. I think they did that when this was a brand new model for Gibson. Kind of like an introductory thing.

I know they used to include a lot of reproductions of the original '50s paper, such as how to adjust the truss rod, pickup heights, Mr Dealer tags, and other cool stuff with the Historic Model guitars. Some of the guitar dealers like VintageWorld used to sell the whole vintage repro paper packets for around $30. or so if you really want it. I'm not sure these packets with the reproduction '50s pamphlets and info sheets, were actually made by Gibson for inclusion with the Historic guitars or Gibson or obtained from another source. It was certainly a nice touch when it was part of the package. I remember buying a 2000 Historic SG from GC and it also included the '50s repro paper packet too.

I got my 339 in May 2010, and it was made in July 2009. I got it new in the box at GC.

Just like Blaster said, I got this;

I know they used to include a lot of reproductions of the original '50s paper, such as how to adjust the truss rod, pickup heights, Mr Dealer tags, and other cool stuff with the Historic Model guitars. Some of the guitar dealers like VintageWorld used to sell the whole vintage repro paper packets for around $30. or so of you really want it.

just like McBride said, I also got this stuff:

I have seen pictures of earlier 339s that had Gibson Cord, Truss Rod Wrench, COA, Quality check list, and a Cleaning Cloth. I think they did that when this was a brand new model for Gibson. Kind of like an introductory thing.

I got all these things. I don't know if the case candy changes over time. the 339 is Gibson's bes new product of the last few years, IMHO.

My '09 339 was purchased new from GC & still had the pickguard's protective covering. Case candy included the COA, QC checklist, & truss rod wrench. Edit: The owner's manual was in there, too.

Same here, except for the owner's manual. Mfgr date 7/09, arrived from GC's Salt Lake City DC in sealed Gibby factory carton in Dec 09.

Well, I finally contacted Gibson, and they promised to send me a care package of "documents". No trussrod wrench though - the CSR said that Gibson no longer provides them,and steered me to StewMac instead. Bummer - hey Gibson, Taylor and Fender supply tools!

Larry

Same with my 339 bought last spring. Expected an owners manual, cleaning cloth, etc, only received the key and the COA. Had to go back to the shop at a later date to get a truss rod wrench...

Hey the color of your -339 is great! I did not know there were any others besides the two original bursts and the antique red I bought. Did not see that blue on Gibson's website - what other colors are there?

Much the same story here. I took delivery of my 339 in late March -- as an aside, the serial # shows that guitar was finished on March 9, 2011.

I got the key, COA, and warranty information and mail-in documemnts. What I really wanted was the Manual. But I found that you can download the manual from the Gibson.com website.

Can't complain about the guitar -- and Musicians' Friend did a nice job making sure to ship me a guitar that had a perfect set up.

• 1 month later...

The "case candy" arrived in the mail, consisting of a Gibson brochure. Go figure. Damn these guys are cheap ...

Well, I finally contacted Gibson, and they promised to send me a care package of "documents". No trussrod wrench though - the CSR said that Gibson no longer provides them,and steered me to StewMac instead. Bummer - hey Gibson, Taylor and Fender supply tools!

Larry

Archived