Gibson Brands Forums

Would you let an artist sign your guitar

Eracer_Team

NO! DON'T DO IT! I had Billy Duffy of The Cult sign a 1987 Les Paul Custom way back in 1989. Man, you should have seen it. At the time it was beautiful. The black Sharpie signature was so clear and the writing was just as black as the ebony finger board. But over time the ink reacted with the nitrocellulose finish and today is a dull smudged mess! Here is a picture.

NO! DON'T DO IT! I had Billy Duffy of The Cult sign a 1987 Les Paul Custom way back in 1989. Man, you should have seen it. At the time it was beautiful. The black Sharpie signature was so clear and the writing was just as black as the ebony finger board. But over time the ink reacted with the nitrocellulose finish and today is a dull smudged mess! Here is a picture.

Sorry, it would not attach. I hope it works this time!post-30318-075916500 1301356014_thumb.jpg

I don't see the pic.

I have one guitar that's signed on the back of the headstock, under the trem cover, and has artwork on the body in Sharpie.

This is a display piece, so it never needs much more than a light wipe-down/dusting as far as cleaning goes.

If you intend on using the guitar, then Sharpie on the body will smudge and react to sweat and cleaners or polish during cleaning and/or wipe-downs after time, the back of the headstock is a probably your best bet.

Also under the control cavity or trem cover.

Oh right where you arm usually rests.. I can see why it rubbed out.

hmm back of headstock.. hmm

I'd have to get a white sharpe for that.. I believe the back of the head stock is black.. don't have the guitar in front of my this very second.

It is signed on the back also and the same thing happened. I still can't figure out how to post pictures and I am at my limit so I can't attach another. I would be happy to email you a picture of the back to show you that the smear had nothing to do with where I place my arm. I didn't play it after it was signed. I left it in the case for 10 years and when I opened the case back up both the autograph on the front and personal message on the back were faded. The sharpie ink is now inside and not on top if the finish. Do what you want but I am telling you the ink will be absorbed by the finish over time. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

If you love your guitar, and intend to keep it forever, go ahead and do it.

But don't expect it to add any value to the guitar (have you looked up the going price for a JB autograph on eBay?)... if anything, someone who doesn't care for him might think it would de-value the guitar.

Have him sign the pickguard! Then, spray it, with a clear lacquer sealer!

That way, you have a signature, and...if you decide later, for whatever reason,

to not keep the guitar, you can replace the pickguard. Or, you can replace it,

right away, and play the Hell out of the guitar, and still have the original signed

pick-guard. Works out, either way.

CB

MBeshada - maybe its that Olympic white.. I've seen a number of posts over the years of people complaining that the white was now pink due to the lining of the cases.. I wonder if the pen bleed through the lacquer

CharlieB.. I'd have to go buy a pick guard.. none on mine..

then again.. I can always have him sign my Strat but his current endorsement deal is with Gibson.

I second the pickguard idea. Fairly common these days, I think. If you are doing it for the money, being out $25 for a pickguard is less risky than devaluing the entire guitar if his autograph value should tank for some reason. A PG is also easier to carry in/out. I don't really collect anything with an eye on resale so I'm speculating here, but I'm trying to be logical about it ;)

Buy a plain TRC, a silver-ink pen and...

A long while back I often worked with a guy who, it turned out, was the father-in-law of Steve Howe - one of the guitarists who first inspired me.

I had read an interview with S.H. where he recounted the tale of how he got Les Paul (one of HIS favourite guitarists) to sign the TRC of his 4-pup Black Beauty, so I asked my colleague if he would ask whether S.H. would mind doing me the same favour! I didn't have a LP at the time but my very first guitar was a copy of a Gold-Top and he signed the TRC of that.

SteveHoweTRC.jpg

P.

I think I would be happy with a picture of him playing one of my guitars.

He is playing here in Ottawa Friday and there are 2 winners from a radio station who will meet Joe and be given a signed guitar before the show. It is a Epiphone LP. Funny that it would be an Epiphone with his Gibson endorsements/promotions.

Dave

Ted Nugent.. excellent.. went to many shows in the early 80's to see him..

Nice for the Ottawa winners getting a guitar too.. the Long and McQuade contest didn't state that :( just the new cd and Albert's Hall dvd plus tickets

Truss rod cover sounds right on.. that's were Gibson/Epiphone put most of their "signature" guitars signatures.

I got the back of the pickguard on my Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute signed by Reverend Horton Heat and Jimbo. You may not be able to flash it around to everyone, but you know that it's there. I got the front of one pickguard signed once and applied a non-acid matte finish laminate on it. It turned out pretty nice and allows me to still play that guitar. I wouldn't use any type of spray finish as it may crack the autograph ink when it's drying.

Have him sign your chest, spray yourself with lacquer and wear a shirt. You'll know it's there... For real, I've always tried to keep these kind of decisions as least destructive as possible. I think many guys on this forum wish they'd have gotten a truss rod cover with their girlfriends name instead of a tatoo. But then again that could be just me being extremely envious!

So here it is..

I won the Meet and Greet for Joe Bonamassa this coming weekend.

Do I take my 2001 Studio Desert Burst Les Paul to have him sign it?

what do you think?

lespaultop.jpg

Tough question . but --- I think if you can get it authenticated , I would . A picture of Joe holding it with the serial # visable and a picture of him signing it , I would . .... Jerry.

Archived