Gibson Brands Forums

L5 Tailpiece

Old Jazzer

I purchased a new L5 CES last year. My question is: is the tailpiece gold plated? Is part of it gold plated? The reason I'm asking this is because, the middle section is now badly tarnished while the rest is not. Looks a little wierd being new. Is this normal, should I use a brass cleaner?

The tailpiece is gold plated, the insert is silver plated, they are supposed to be two different colors.

DO NOT USE BRASSO, or any other paste type polish on plated guitar parts. The "fine" metal plating (gold and silver) is VERY soft AND very thin, you will rub them right down to bare metal (yes I've done it). Use only liquid cleaning products specifically made for gold and silver, and a VERY soft cloth (100% cotton or softer).

Both these metals will tarnish and age over time. There nothing you can due to stop it, and little you can do to slow it down.

The tailpiece is gold plated, the insert is silver plated, they are supposed to be two different colors.

DO NOT USE BRASSO, or any other paste type polish on plated guitar parts. The "fine" metal plating (gold and silver) is VERY soft AND very thin, you will rub them right down to bare metal (yes I've done it). Use only liquid cleaning products specifically made for gold and silver, and a VERY soft cloth (100% cotton or softer).

Both these metals will tarnish and age over time. There nothing you can due to stop it, and little you can do to slow it down.

Thanks Larry. I remember you have more than one L5. Now that I think about it, the insert is silver. This is what happens to you when your 66. ](*,)

I purchased a new L5 CES last year. My question is: is the tailpiece gold plated? Is part of it gold plated? The reason I'm asking this is because, the middle section is now badly tarnished while the rest is not. Looks a little wierd being new. Is this normal, should I use a brass cleaner?

I purchased a brand new L5 5 years ago. Unfortunately the neck de-lacquered and whilst it was in the repair shop for 4 months the tailpiece tarnished really badly. My tailpieces on my other guitars are in better condition.

What I suggest is that you put in your guitar case a bag of that stuff that soaks up the moisture and also take the guitar out of the case reasonably regularly and leave it out for awhile and wipe it with a dry soft cloth before putting it away. I did this to my L4 CES and the tailpiece seemed to stabilize. Whereas before I put the stuff in the case it was deteriorating quite quickly.

However I agree with L5 Larry, the tailpieces will tarnish with age and there does not appear to be much that you can do about it. It is strange though that some tailpieces tarnish really quickly and others go for a very long time without deteriorating! Not sure why this is!!!!

I purchased a brand new L5 5 years ago. Unfortunately the neck de-lacquered and whilst it was in the repair shop for 4 months the tailpiece tarnished really badly. My tailpieces on my other guitars are in better condition.

What I suggest is that you put in your guitar case a bag of that stuff that soaks up the moisture and also take the guitar out of the case reasonably regularly and leave it out for awhile and wipe it with a dry soft cloth before putting it away. I did this to my L4 CES and the tailpiece seemed to stabilize. Whereas before I put the stuff in the case it was deteriorating quite quickly.

However I agree with L5 Larry, the tailpieces will tarnish with age and there does not appear to be much that you can do about it. It is strange though that some tailpieces tarnish really quickly and others go for a very long time without deteriorating! Not sure why this is!!!!

Great idea using silica gel bags for moisture. The only time my guitar is in the case is when I go to rehearsal or gig. I live in southwest Utah, Hight Desert. Very dry. I think that's why my guitars have stayed in such great shape over the years.

I guess I'll purchase some liquid silver polish and give it a little touch up now and then.

Randy

Great idea using silica gel bags for moisture. The only time my guitar is in the case is when I go to rehearsal or gig. I live in southwest Utah, Hight Desert. Very dry. I think that's why my guitars have stayed in such great shape over the years.

I guess I'll purchase some liquid silver polish and give it a little touch up now and then.

Randy

I'm not sure about using metal cleaners on the tailpiece. I have a bad feeling that it's a big risk!!!!

I'm not sure about using metal cleaners on the tailpiece. I have a bad feeling that it's a big risk!!!!

Hum. The center piece of the tailpiece is probably silver plated. Do you think a liquid tarnish remover might remove the plating? If so, it's a good point. I'll have to look into this a little further. Thanks

Randy

Hum. The center piece of the tailpiece is probably silver plated. Do you think a liquid tarnish remover might remove the plating? If so, it's a good point. I'll have to look into this a little further. Thanks

Randy

I'm pretty sure that the plating on some tailpieces is quite thin. Using metal polish on solid brass, silver or gold is OK but plating. Just not sure? Better to be super cautious.

I'm pretty sure that the plating on some tailpieces is quite thin. Using metal polish on solid brass, silver or gold is OK but plating. Just not sure? Better to be super cautious.

I've emailed Gibson Customer Service about this. Let's see if I get a reply.

Randy

I use Hagerty Silver Foam on mine. It's very gentle, and unlike some silver cleaners, is safe to use on gold. I bought it at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

That being said, I'm careful not to get it on the guitar finish, and try not to use it often.

Danny W.

I use Hagerty Silver Foam on mine. It's very gentle, and unlike some silver cleaners, is safe to use on gold. I bought it at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

That being said, I'm careful not to get it on the guitar finish, and try not to use it often.

Danny W.

Thanks Danny. That's a good source for me.

Randy

Archived