Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton Neck Radius?

chengin

Hi,

does anyone know what the neck radius of the Epiphone Sheraton II is? I don't see it on the website, it just states 12" fingerboard radius & Slim Taper neck shape.

I'm just wondering how it might compare to say a 59 Gibson Les Paul which I think has a 12" neck radius?

Thanks.

Don't confuse fingerboard radius with neck profile. fingerboard radius is often incorrectly reffered to as "neck radius"

fingerboard radius reffers only to the curvature or the fretboard as shown in this pic.

neckDimDiagram.jpg

neck profile reffers to the shape of the back of the neck as shown by the cross sections in this pic.

NeckProfiles.jpg

I unfortuately can't say what sort of neck profile the sheraton has because i don't own one.

Thanks for the replies so far.

SolidSnake - I did see that on the Epi site, but as BigNeil stated, it only refers to fingerboard radius = 12", which is not the same thing. I guess I should have asked for neck profile when I refered to neck radius really. The only description of it is slim taper, but that could mean anything.

I have played one, and it feels quite at to me, thats why i'm wondering what the offical size of it is supposed to be. Its quite comfortable, which I didn't think I would like, but it does feel pretty big to me.

The ultimate goal would be an R9 (eventually), but I have never seen one in the flesh, but I have heard they are pretty huge (I guess similar to baseball in the graphic above), so i'm curious to see how the Sheraton might compare neck size/profile wise.

The R9 i think comes with a "60s taper", if the sheraton comes with "slim taper" then they are highly likely to be similar feeling necks as the 60's neck is a slim profile too. but again i don't have any intimate knoledge of either these guitars. perhaps some of my fellow forimites can help with that.

Hi BigNeil,

I think the R0 has the 60's taper, which is slimmer than R9. I suspect this R0 neck might be similar to the Sheraton neck alright. I believe the R9 is a fatter neck, but I would love if someone could confirm if there is much of a difference.

Thanks for your help.

Hi BigNeil,

I think the R0 has the 60's taper, which is slimmer than R9. I suspect this R0 neck might be similar to the Sheraton neck alright. I believe the R9 is a fatter neck, but I would love if someone could confirm if there is much of a difference.

Thanks for your help.

Doh! yes the R0 has the 60's taper and is slimmer than the R9. :-#

Are you buying a sherry then?

Hi BigNeil,

I might just do that alright! The neck seemed a lot bigger than I have been used to, but I actually seemed to get used to it. Very curious if an R9 is much bigger, I wonder if I could handle that. I'm not sure if I could manage much bigger.

I reckon that the neck profile is brobably not all that important in the long run, unless you happen to have a very particular or specialized technique. Fat or thin, you will probably just get used to it. Most Epi necks i have played have been some where in the region of medium thickness, in fact i would describe my Epi LP standard as having an "Extra Medium" neck [lol]

what sort of music do you like to play?

I have a Sheraton II. I think that the neck is pretty slim. Of the choices that are pictured by bigneil above, I think the neck cross-section is most like the "D-Shape" but perhaps even thinner from front to back. I certainly wouldn't call it thick or heavy. I would call it "comfortably slim", but that's just my opinion.

Archived