Gibson Brands Forums

07/08 Standard True Vintage J-200 Hybrids

torca

As the J-200 model has now a Studio/Standard(grovers,two bar pearl insert,bottom two back braces are large and flat) and the True Vintage model, I've come across at least three 07/08 SJ-200(per label)that were not True Vintage but share interesting like traits.Recently I came across 07 had the four bar pearl bridge,gold Kluson style tulips,red,clear engraved pickguard,which were standard and applicable to the True Vintage at that time.BUT inside it shared all the thinner back braces(same as my TV VOS) and certainly had the yellowed toner.It is the thinner back bracing that seems to be the distinguishing feature,and they have all sounded great!Anyone else seen any non-conformist models as the True Vintage models were being rolled out?

Todd

I think pretty much from Day 1, Gibson has varied specifications on its instruments. Sometimes it's a matter of using whatever bits and pieces happen to be there at the time. An example of this is the presence of magnificently figured woods on some lower-tier guitars. If the day's run calls for the lower models and the wood at hand happens to be the good stuff, then that wood gets used. Perhaps at other times, variations might be inadvertent, or even intentional experimentation. But it's certainly not surprising to see examples of models that are "out of spec." Little details, like whether the SJ-200 pickguards do or don't have borders around them, seem to be pretty much happenstance. Unless a buyer has especially strong views about every detail of the instrument (and there are folks out there who feel that way), cosmetic variants (or structural variants that represent getting something better rather than worse than you expected) probably aren't a big issue. If a higher model gets some of its important features replaced with those from a lower model, that would be another matter. Does that happen as well? Pretty rarely, if at all, I would guess.

I've come across at least three 07/08 SJ-200(per label)that were not True Vintage ...

Not all TV's say "TV" on the label. I suspect the guitars you've been looking at were in fact TVs.

-- Bob R

Archived