Gibson Brands Forums

Just bought a '66 Vibro Champ...

Spot

Loving my new practice amp, a '66 Vibro Champ Blackface, but I'm not sure about it's current speaker, a "Quam" which I've never actually heard of...

Can anyone recommend a good replacement?

photo-32.jpg

Awesome amp, congratulations. I think the originals were Jensen Special design with Alnico magnets. You might want to search ebay for vintage speakers, though they still make them.

Thanks for that 57. Anyone use a Weber blue pup? Heard they are a good option....

It's listed as coming stock with a C10Q Jensen, or an Oxford 10L5 speaker.....i'd load it with a Jensen "Vintage Ceramic" series speaker.....they break in fairly quickly and sound GREAT for leads.

I loaded a 12" C12Q (30w) into this for $70 USD (new) and just couldn't be happier....it has a great "woody bark" when I dig in with lower mids, and absolutely sings in the upper mid & high range.

GarysCam104.jpg

Jensen Vintage Ceramic Series

Vintage Amp Replacement Speaker Chart

Old Champs are amazing, Congrats!

I think I have read favorable comments on using the Celestion Vintage 30 for a Champ, but a vintage Jensen would be cool, if you could find one.

+1. I've played a Champ through a 1x12 V30 cab, and it sounded great. Huge sounds at a real low volume!

+1. I've played a Champ through a 1x12 V30 cab, and it sounded great. Huge sounds at a real low volume!

..Excatly what I'm looking for!!!!

Thanks for the advice guys!!!

[thumbup]

Archived