Gibson Brands Forums

490T & R for Blues

HUTCHfromBA

Guest FarnsBarns

Blues, as a music, was traditional played by people who had little choice. They played what they had. Get a cigar box and a plank, 4 strings and your done. If you must have a pickup use a peizo electric buzzer stuck on the inside below the bridge.

Seriously, though, I assume you want a more modern sound and as such its a personal choice. Many modern blues artists like the Strat. I like p90s but really, any Gibson humbucker is fine too.

To give you a direct answer. Yes, they'll do a fine job.

Blues is in the Phrasing, Your sound is in your preferred pick ups (and the rest of your set up). Therefore your blues can be played on 490's if you like them.

Actually, now that I think about it, Blues can be played on Pickups you don't like. Or even guitars you don't like. Or even on instruments you don't like.

You can play the blues with everything. Period.

yes, even those little soul stealing, tone numbing heartless boxes of battery powered hatred called EMGs...

Yup................

I prefer the 57' classics.

just swapped out my 498 490's for 57's in my SG but its all down to your ear

And yup.................I prefer 57s myself............................[thumbup] ...

B.B. King seems to fair quite well with the 490R/T combo

Wow ! I had no idea that Mr. B.B.King used the 490T & 490R . That confirms what I'm looking for . He uses them on his hollow body but if they ar good enough for B.B. their good enough for me I guess . NOW , how do I learn to play like him ? LOL ! Thxs again.

Bonamassa doesn't seem to have much trouble with Gibson pickups and the blues.

Big Ron

But he uses a Jimmy Page design with 4 conductor Burstbucker 2 & 3 . AND , he can really play . LOL ! I'll get there In 60 more years . Thxs for your input .

Wow ! I had no idea that Mr. B.B.King used the 490T & 490R . That confirms what I'm looking for . He uses them on his hollow body but if they ar good enough for B.B. their good enough for me I guess . NOW , how do I learn to play like him ? LOL ! Thxs again.

Yeppp

They are my preferred gibson pickups too.

Blues is in the Phrasing, Your sound is in your preferred pick ups (and the rest of your set up). Therefore your blues can be played on 490's if you like them.

Actually, now that I think about it, Blues can be played on Pickups you don't like. Or even guitars you don't like. Or even on instruments you don't like.

O.K. , you got my vote !

I prefer the 57' classics.

just swapped out my 498 490's for 57's in my SG but its all down to your ear

That's why I bought my SG Standard. It has 490R/498T. I already have '57 Classics in my CS-336. I'm keeping the stock pickups in my SG Standard

because they have a totally different sound (at least to my ear), than the '57 Classics on my CS-336. Another color to paint your sound with.

That's why I bought my SG Standard. It has 490R/498T. I already have '57 Classics in my CS-336. I'm keeping the stock pickups in my SG Standard

because they have a totally different sound (at least to my ear), than the '57 Classics on my CS-336. Another color to paint your sound with.

Thank you for the very detailed answer . I appreciate the advise . Do you have the 57's in both the bridge and neck ? Jerry

Archived