Gibson Brands Forums

490T & R for Blues

HUTCHfromBA

Thank you for the very detailed answer . I appreciate the advise . Do you have the 57's in both the bridge and neck ? Jerry

Jerry, Yes, on my CS-336, both pickups, i.e. neck and bridge are '57 Classics. That's the way the guitar came. I'm not complaining, though.

That guitar sounds great with two of the same pickups. I suppose it's just the position of the pickup on the guitar that gives it its own

sound....Paul

• 3 years later...

Hello!

I was wondering days ago... Gary Moore with all these guitars He had... Did He ever bothered about pickups, as much as many of us do (including me)?

Cheers... Bence

EDIT: I mean did He knew there are "57 Classics", "49Xs", and so on at all?

Old threads can be a timeless discussion...

I happen to love the 490R/498T combination especially in a Les Paul or SG!

I think they are magnificent!

There's also nothing wrong with 57 Classics, or BB's...

I even like my mini-buckers in my Les Paul Deluxe!

Luv me some P90's!!!

I also own a Peavey JF1-EX (a poor-man's ES335) and have replaced the stock Peavey humbuckers with a set of Gibson 490's. I think they sound sublime. While the 490T doesn't have an extra kick like the AlNiCo-5 498T, but it has a very piquant matched/balanced output that works very well with the 490R; especially in the both pickups on switch position. This makes some serious Gibson honk and classic vintage tone!

782216GibsonChart.jpg

Best description of EMG's I have ever seen.

It's kinda ironic that the comment which prompted the thread resurrection was actually about EMGs, not 490s. :-k BTW, the kid Fred who made that comment about EMGs is another of those past "banned" members.

Back to 490s. I mostly read other people complaining about 490R and how they immediately replace it with something else. But my LP Studio has the 498T/490R combo and I am very happy with them both. Yeah, the neck pickup is a little dark, but that's kinda the intent isn't it? If I want a dark, warm sound I toggle it to the Rhythm, if I want a more biting treble tone I use Lead. Put it in the middle and I get that nice airy, bubbly tone, perfect for arpeggios.

490T & 490R for Les Paul BLUES . What do YOU Think ?490T & 490R for Les Paul BLUES . What do YOU Think ? :-k

There is no way that anyone on earth can play blues music using a 490 pickup. It simply can't be done as the 490 does not have a sufficient amount of mojo necessary to produce the notes require to play the blues. Nope, can;t be done.

[biggrin]

There is no way that anyone on earth can play blues music using a 490 pickup. It simply can't be done as the 490 does not have a sufficient amount of mojo necessary to produce the notes require to play the blues. Nope, can;t be done.

[biggrin]

Yep,, that's a fact.

Another little known fact is they intentionally wound the mojo out so they are perfect for thrash metal.

[biggrin]

[lol]

Yep,, that's a fact.

Another little known fact is they intentionally wound the mojo out so they are perfect for thrash metal.

Yep. My 490s automatically mute when I try playing any different style, and my 498s as well. [scared] :P

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Archived