Gibson Brands Forums

Speculation on an "acquisition" by Gibson

EvanPC

Don't mean to stir up a "rumor", but I know many of you are probably also members of MyLesPaul.com. and I just stumbled on this "news". Apparently, MLP has been acquired by a "major guitar company" currently being referred to enigmatically as "G-Co.". Many are speculating it's Gibson who has acquired the website/forums. Thought I'd share...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/134281-mylespaul-com-acquired-major-guitar-company.html

Excerpt from OP:

"Fellow MLPers,

I'm delighted to announce that MyLesPaul.com has been acquired by a major guitar company. Actual company name will be announced in next week's press release, but for now I will refer to them as G-Co.

I've learned a lot from working on MLP, and I look forward to bringing my experience, creativity and insight to the fine folks at G-Co. Both MyLesPaul.com and G-Co share the same vision and passion for Les Paul guitars, and while I can't share any future website plans, I look forward to the opportunity to contribute and do great things with G-Co in the future."

EDIT: Would also like to add that perhaps it's worth noting tomorrow (errrr, I mean, Friday) is April 1...just something to keep in mind...

Sounds like an April Fools day set up to me... Hope I didn't spoil it. I am an expert!! Hahahahha

Hmmm...well, not for the money, but I can think of several reasons why Gibson would want to own MLP. The first that comes to mind is the fact that Gibson could then control the content over there, as it is done here. There are a lot of threads on MLP where people openly discuss certain matters pertaining to Gibson in a way that would never be permitted in this forum. These opinions reach thousands of readers.

But if Gibson really does buy MLP and tries to run it like the forum here, it will merely cause a mass exodus to another site where people can say what they want. Unfortunately the Gibson forum has already lost many of its top contributors to MLP for exactly this reason.

This reminds me of a semi-active thread on MLP right now, with an alleged GC employee claiming tons of new Gibsons are coming in with awful setups. If I remember right, there were quite a few rebuttals to his claim though, which attempted to prove otherwise. Not sure where the "argument" stands now though.

It's an example like this though, which would make any company squirm to think misinformation (maybe) is being spread around. I mean, if the guy works at GC, he must be an expert, right......? :rolleyes:

I knew all along, but it was hilarious to watch some of the gossiping little old ladies at MLP fall all over themselves [laugh]

Holy crap. I've never seen a thread explode like that in my life.

Almost 1000 posts in, what, about 48 hours?

Now, what's the ruling on proper April fools jokes? Fair to start to days ahead? [tongue]

I'd like to go on record as having only made a single post at MLP:

"tomorrow is April 1st"

Yes, I called it for what it was :).

Anyone want the winning numbers for the next big lottery???

[lol]

Call me 'an old fashioned stick-in-the-mud' if you like but I'm going to remain traditional and refer to tomorrow as "March 31st".

P.

Even with the time zone difference !!!!!!!!!!!! [lol] [lol] [lol] .........Thunk !!!!!!!!!!!

Archived