Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio ’60s Mahogany 'Buzzing'

tonyg

Hi, i got one of these in the U.K a couple of months ago and i have noticed a buzzing on medium to high gain settings through my amp. It doesn't happen with any of my other guitars on the same settings through the same amp. I have also run it through a cube practice amp and it does the same! When i'm not playing, if i hold the strings against the neck it seems to stop. Also, if i hold the guitar lead by the connector at the jack socket when it's plugged in it stops. Could this be a problem with an earth connection to the jack socket? There is no local dealer, so it would have to go back to the shop if it is a big job to sort out.

Your help/advice is appreciated.

Many thanks

Tony

Hi Tony

yeah sounds like an earthing issue to me, best thing if your not comfortable fixing it yourself is to take it back to the shop you brought it from.

all the pots, switch and jack are all earthed to the stopbar so its possible that one of the components wasn't properly earthed or has come loose somehow

That LP Studio 60's guitar has the P-90's right? You do know those are single coil pickups. Unless you buy specifically a "Noiseless" single coil, then you will ALWAYS have noise issues with any standard single coil pickups. It's just the nature of the beast. I think the P-90 sounds best when just slightly overdriven to where the cleans start to break up into a crunch. Actually, too much gain with any pickup can cause noise issues! :D You may have to just learn to be quick to roll off the volume knob when you aren't actually playing notes. I hope you find some way to live with the quirks of your guitar, whether you have to shield the control cavities or whatever. :) I don't think there is anything "wrong" with your axe. Just single coils being single coils !

Hi - Thanks for the info - the Studio '60s mahogany is the one that was offered as a limited run for GC in the US. It is the one with the 498 & 490 p-ups, not the latest model with the P-90's.

What i meant to say when i said the noise goes when i hold the strings was that the excessive feedback & other background noise goes away (which is normal), but the buzzing noise (which is cancelled out when i hold the cable end) is still there. It seems the guitar is earthing through me!

If it's there when you touch the strings but not when you touch the output jack then the wire connecting the bridge to the ground is not making good contact. Often the pull away from the stud insert. It's not very hard to fix but see if it's under warranty first.

Archived