Gibson Brands Forums

What Gibson, Epi, Fender and just about everybody else does right but doesn't work for me

Notes_Norton

I've really bonded with one volume control near the picking finger. After modding my LTD and now with my Parker, I find that very important and wish Gibson would offer that on their guitars. To me that would be a better option than to have someone's signature on it. I can control the volume as I'm playing and with whatever pickup configuration I might be using.

I've also found the longer scale is better for my sized hands, especially when playing past the 12th fret. Easier to play and more comfortable. Live and learn.

Gibson made the Nighthawk with those specs and players like you (and me) in mind, but it just never took off. [confused]

And I have to admit that guitarists have more GAS than saxophonists -- on the sax forum there are a few with big collections but most of them are long discontinued models from the 'golden age'. I admit, I'd like a 1960s King Silversonic, but it's an old sax, and saxes have moving parts that wear out, so I wouldn't be gigging with it, so I'll probably never get one - I'm too practical for that.

But to the audience, saxes look pretty much alike. Perhaps that is why there is no "Kenny G." model soprano. After all, a huge number of females are into the G man and most male musicians I know like to attract the attention from females (I'm not being sexist, it's just human nature).

I think you addressed this point pretty accurately. Guitars sound and look different, then there's pedals to change sound, different amps change sound, and then there's different looks. Sax's don't make that many different sounds, no matter what else you buy for them. And there's not that many different recorded saxophone tones to recapture.

On a final note, not only is there is a Kenny G Soprano sax, there's and entire line of Kenny G saxophones and accessories.

My link

You didn't really think they'd miss a chance to tap that market, did you?

I can't explain why, but except for my two 1970s Ovations, my guitars all are essentially Gibson designs. Even the 1950s Harmony jazz guitar could be considered something of a Gibson "type" guitar.

BTW, that old Harmony has a slightly shorter scale. Funny how a 25 inch scale plays as much differently than a "traditional" Gibson length that's not that much more.

m

Gibson made the Nighthawk with those specs and players like you (and me) in mind, but it just never took off. [confused]

I actually looked at a few Blues Hawks before I made the decision to go with the Parker. But I got a little timid about buying an unknown used guitar on-line. With the Parker I had the option to send it back for a full refund, and since I got free shipping, I would only be out the return shipping. Plus the DragonFly is a doublecut, and that makes upper fret access much easier for me.

Epi hadn't re-issued the Nighthawk before this. I would have seriously considered it. It's at a much better price than my Parker. But with my Parker I have a 5 pound guitar, ebony fretboard, hardened stainless steel frets, and the Fishman pickup - plus - it's made in the USA so it helps US craftsmen stay employed.

But in the end it worked out great. I ended up getting the Parker for free (actually I made about $25 on the deal).

<...>On a final note, not only is there is a Kenny G Soprano sax, there's and entire line of Kenny G saxophones and accessories.

My link<...>

OMG - the G Man himself selling saxophones. I gotta bring this up on a saxophone forum (most sax players hate Kenny G and just putting his name on a forum is trolling).

Actually Kenny G has good tone but his music is very simplistic. I'm not knocking that though, it's obviously commercial as he has done very well with it. I play commercial music, too and so it would be hypocritical for me to dis him. I suspect he knows a lot more than he shows on his recordings.

When I was growing up we all hated Boots Randolph. Heard as a session man on other people's recordings, Boots is a great sax player, but on his own recordings, he just plays that same old kitsch.

Back to guitars.

Reminds me of the time many years ago when Chet Atkins came into a club that we were playing in. We were introduced to him and got to talking. He mentioned that he would really rather be a jazz player, but country music is where his bread and butter comes from.

But I wouldn't own a Chet Atkins guitar just because his name was on it. If it seemed to be the perfect guitar for me, and there wasn't a less expensive 'generic' model available, I would buy it for the features, not the name.

I just got the new Sweetwater catalog, and there are 17 different Fender Strats -- and that's not counting different color options. I guess that's a good thing, as you can get just the one you want.

I guess it's definitely a mature market.

Archived