Gibson Brands Forums

Your most successful means of selling gear

Tim Plains

Whenever I sell gear I list it on both CL and kijiji. I find that all my buyers come through kijiji and all I ever get from CL are scammers. You know, the guys who say they'll pay the asking price, or more, and have their shipping company pick up the guitar. That's all I ever get from CL nowadays.

What do you have the most (or least) success with?

Guest FarnsBarns

Only ever sold one, mentioned it to a few friends, 2 interested parties worked it up to twice it's brand new price. No listing fees, no shipping, no trust issues.

I've bought and sold tons of gear on Ebay and rarely has their been an issue. CL on the other hand has been nothing but a huge waste of time to me. People telling you they will meet up to look at the guitar and never showing. Little kids trying to get your guitar for free. I don't bother with it anymore.

Good thread. I've been struggling with this decision myself lately. I've got every bit of gear I've ever owned going back 17 or so years and I want to get rid of a ton of it. I've been torn on how to go about doing it though. Trade-in credit at a retailer is almost robbery, so I want to sell it outright.

I'm brand new to ebay, and am "testing" the selling of a few video games right now. If it goes well, I may graduate to trying to sell my gear there. I've heard too many horror stories about CL though...do'nt have the gumption to try that.

Guest FarnsBarns

Anyone ever actually sell something here in the Trading Post?

I've wondered about that, have several WTBs in there but there's not much evidence of any real activity.

Anyone ever actually sell something here in the Trading Post?

Yeah i did. A nice washburn guitar with a sexy finsh, i bet its getting played alot now. Ive also bought a pickup.

On MLP i sold two pickups, bought my Gibson MM too!

I've sold many more items on eBay, but if we're only talking about guitar related gear I think I've done more off CL. That's just because some things are too difficult or cost prohibitive to ship.

I'll have to look into this kijiji thing :-k

Archived