Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson guitar strings

powerwagonjohn

I am wondering if Gibson still makes there own strings and what opinions you may have about them. I have been using Gibson L-5 .012 strings on my L-4CES as this is what came on the guitar when it was new. I am having the L-4 set up and adjusted at Hoffman Guitars in MPLS MN. No one seems to carry Gibson strings around here and I do like to support the local music stores by buying my strings and things localy. I could have a store order the Gibson strings or I may just go to DAD's as they are available everywhere. Any thoughts, opinions or comments ?

Thanks John

Gibson still makes their strings ;) As for another string brand, that's all you.......I like a variety of strings. On my LP's I will use either the Gibson Brite Wires, or Dunlop Nickel plated steel strings. On a my strats, ONLY Fender Super 250's. If you like Gibson strings, continue to use them......and tell your local shop to stock them or you will be forced to order online :P

I called Gibson customer service today and they told me Gibson stills packages there own strings but he could not tell me whether they make there own strings. He said that was all he was allowed to tell me. I guess we all know what that means!

I also asked about the history of the L-4CES reissues/ historic guitars. All he had to tell me was what in on the website. I knew more about the L-4CES than he did! I even wonder if he really worked at Gibson at all. I was really suprised so I sent them an E-mail and we will see if they respond. I tried the Gibson 4 you contact and it didn't work. I guess I am kinna dissapointed, I expected better communication. I will hold on any opinion until I hear from them, if I ever do. My wife is head of customer service for a major international manufacturing company, much bigger than Gibson, and this would never happen at her company so I may be a little sensitive on this subject.

So sad but I will cool down, John

well, it doesn't matter who makes them, I really like theGibson L5 and Vintage Reissue strings... Its pretty much all I use as far as round wounds.. for flatwounds, there is only one brand I ever use and that is the Thomastik Infelds... I highly recommend them... D'addarios are good also...

well, it doesn't matter who makes them, I really like theGibson L5 and Vintage Reissue strings... Its pretty much all I use as far as round wounds.. for flatwounds, there is only one brand I ever use and that is the Thomastik Infelds... I highly recommend them... D'addarios are good also...

I've tried both flats and rounds on my L5. I really like the sound of the rounds but the noise bothers me. Quit using them. Tried a number of sets of TI Benson 12's. Stopped using them due to a MAJOR material problem with the third string. I couldn't keep the D'addario flats intonated. Quit using them.

I'm presently have Sadowsky flatwound 13's and love 'em. They stay intonated, no rapid wear and great tone. Priced well also.

Just my HO.

Randy

• 2 months later...

I have been using D'Addario half rounds on my Guild X-170 and really like the sound and feel. I think they are a nice compromise between flat and round wound strings. On my Gibson L-4CES I like the Gibson L-5 strings but I have to order them so I have been using the D'Addario round wound and I find them as good as the Gibsons, easier to get and cheaper too. I think I will try the half rounds on my Gibson ES225T. I have a couple sets of DR strings I am going to try on my 1975 Guild D-50 to see what they sound like. I didn't like the Elixer strings on my acoustic.

Thanks John

I like Ernie Ball ten's on my Strat but didn't like them on my 335, so I've been using Gibson Brite Wires .010 set on my 335. I like the sound and feel and they last pretty long. I just recently bought the Vintage Reissue to try but haven't put them on yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I use D'Addario, Black Diamond, even fender flat wounds. I still have a few sets of Gibson Flat Wires, when I heard that they weren't going to make them

any more, I bought about 15 sets. I like the black silk or whatever material around the ball end. But they all seem pretty good.

Archived