Gibson Brands Forums

1984 Explorer Reissue w/EMGs

EpiEric

Anyone have one of these or have any experience with them?

http://www.samash.com/p/Epiphone_1984%20Explorer%20Reissue%20Electric%20Guitar%20Assorted%20Colors_1208758

Been going back to my youth and listening to a lot of Metallica lately and have been kind of wanting one of the white ones. Seems like an unofficial Hetfield Explorer.

You couldn't buy an Epi Explorer and put EMGs in it for cheaper than that.

They did a run of these before, but they've popped back up on the Sam Ash site recently. Do they do them in limited runs?

It is probably a limited run for Sam Ash.

Sjael would like them.

I like the white one...

Eeeeeh, I'm more of a '58 guy. The slightly smaller body and knob arrangement on the '84 just look wrong to me. :-k

I mean I'd have one... :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It is an Exclusive to Sam Ash guitar it says so right under the Add to cart button :P

I can say now this is aimed at people who want to play thrash or metal. I have played a couple different guitars loaded with EMGs and well to be honest they all sound the same, they most certainly dont sound bad there is just that lack of expression shall we say that some of the older passive pickups have.

I can say now this is aimed at people who want to play thrash or metal. I have played a couple different guitars loaded with EMGs and well to be honest they all sound the same, they most certainly dont sound bad there is just that lack of expression shall we say that some of the older passive pickups have.

I would ask if you've tried playing with EMGs running on 18V instead of the standard 9V. I have an LP Prophecy, Goth Explorer and an old bolt-on plywood LP Jr (all Epis) that all have an EMG85@18V in the bridge, and all sound very different.

In fact, I often record acoustic tracks with the EMG60 in the neck of my Explorer. It's fantastic.

I'm not a metal fan by any stretch, but I swear by 18V-modded EMGs.

I would ask if you've tried playing with EMGs running on 18V instead of the standard 9V. I have an LP Prophecy, Goth Explorer and an old bolt-on plywood LP Jr (all Epis) that all have an EMG85@18V in the bridge, and all sound very different.

In fact, I often record acoustic tracks with the EMG60 in the neck of my Explorer. It's fantastic.

I'm not a metal fan by any stretch, but I swear by 18V-modded EMGs.

Nope never tried them over driven like that, very nifty point. I don't dislike EMGs at all in fact I am putting an 81 and 89 in my Explorer, you have any sound clips I can check out I am really intrigued by this, as the one thing that has been stalling me on upgrading to the EMGs was the fact that they all seemed to sound the same, why I dub them a metal pickup, great for throwing effects at, to be honest though I have never tried them in a clean setup so I am being slightly biased like a dildo.

:-k

It is so "exclusive".......even Thomann has it.. :o

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_1984_explorer_aw_ltded.htm

Could be an affiliate of Sam Ash? Not to sure, I just noticed what it said on the Sam Ash web page. Or it could just be its exclusive to Sam Ash in North America. I know here in Canada Long and McQuade was the only Epiphone dealer that sold the negative flying V and explorer but I am pretty sure across the line in the US it was different, its all marketing ploys to get you to buy now.

you have any sound clips I can check out I am really intrigued by this

Sorry, forgot about this post, been busy.

I'll record you some sound samples when I have a bit of spare time - I'm poor so I keep switching the same two batteries between guitars, meaning pulling the control cavity covers since I've never managed to fit some 18V battery boxes into my budget. Damn expensive EMGs eating up all my money...

And your post didn't strike me as biased at all. One of the more reasonable posts regarding EMGs I've read, actually. [thumbup]

• 5 months later...

Little up right here.

I will receive mine (arctic white) in 3/4 days. I will post pictures as soon as I put my hands on it.

thumb up to Epiphone for copying the Hetfield and ESP design (which was a copy of gibson with less pickgard...).

Will soonly add a tape duct with "EEt FUK" on it.

Found it on a local (France) Internet store. Limited run of 400 ex. Pretty hard to find, now.

It's probably a limited edition like Epi did for Musician friend and Guitar center (maybe a few more retailers) on an SG custom shop with the same Pu's and price.

I bought one a while ago and it did kick butt my only complaint was the SG neck it was fast but for me to thin I like a beefier neck.but it was a metal machine.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-g-400-electric-guitar-with-emg-pickups/519397000026000

The only places I see that have it in the U.S. are Sam Ash and Amazon.

Supermitch, definitely post pictures when you get it. I've yet to see the white one in stock here, though both Sam Ash and Amazon currently have black in stock.

Hey, few hours later, I have my Explorer ! \:D/

First impressions : Ouch, heavy... compared to my Flying V ...

Ouch, so bad strings... WIll change that for d'addario this evening.

Very nice finish, and, to be honest, better than my Gibby (which is a faded) when I bought it. It comes with a good setup, EMGs, good action (a bit high, may be), well tuned, and strap locks.

Plug that in...well, good, very good. Sound seems to have much more medium than my FV, but I guess that the strings are responsible. I will probably edit that in shortly. EMGs remain EMGs. Not a very large gap between my two axes. I will have to tune the tone to be really satisfied.

And... let there be pictures :

P1030097.jpg

P1030098.jpg

P1030099.jpg

P1030100.jpg

Now, I will make some noise... [smile]

Hey, few hours later, I have my Explorer ! \:D/

First impressions : Ouch, heavy... compared to my Flying V ...

Ouch, so bad strings... WIll change that for d'addario this evening.

Very nice finish, and, to be honest, better than my Gibby (which is a faded) when I bought it. It comes with a good setup, EMGs, good action (a bit high, may be), well tuned, and strap locks.

Plug that in...well, good, very good. Sound seems to have much more medium than my FV, but I guess that the strings are responsible. I will probably edit that in shortly. EMGs remain EMGs. Not a very large gap between my two axes. I will have to tune the tone to be really satisfied.

And... let there be pictures :

P1030097.jpg

P1030098.jpg

P1030099.jpg

P1030100.jpg

Now, I will make some noise... [smile]

HNGD! You've just convinced me that I want one...

And the two look great together, congrats on the great axeage!

[thumbup]

Archived