Gibson Brands Forums

Surgery......

swleary

I've had a long battle with my left shoulder. I can't play guitar for more than 20 minutes and honestly, that really sucks. My shoulder has been steadily getting worse for the last six years and has really hurt a lot of the things I could do. I finally got a doctor to listen to me :) SO come November, I'll be getting it done and hopefully I'll have more movement in it afterwards. NO guitar or anything for three months after however the big picture is, I should be back playing even more and maybe be able to do more fun things with my daughter. Just thought you guys/girls might want to know lol

It was totally unrelated to guitar playing so no worries there. I was a truck driver back in 2005. Had to pull the pin to release the trailer and it was frozen. I pulled so hard, I ripped the shoulder right out of the socket. Injured so much of the arm, it isn't funny. Most things healed but the AC joint never healed and nor did the scar tissue.

First Measure to answer your one question. Before you play guitar, try to stretch your arms and even your fingers, that might just help you avoid getting hurt. Good technique is a good habit. If you ache, some ice for 5 minutes on the swollen area and if heat doesn`t bother you, then heat . Never put heat on anything swollen, it makes it worse. TG I am medical trained huh lol

I live in Canada, we have to wait for everything...wish it was sooner...

My arm pretty much dangled,however I still had to drive for another 8 hours afterwards. Not a pretty site to shift gears, knee sterring and in pain to boot..oh I remember that night like it was yesterday.

AC joint out of whack? Maybe the doc can install a DC. That ought to clear it up.

Sorry, just a little ER humor to lighten your load.

My wife just had rotator cuff surgery. She'll be laid up a long time. Hope yours isn't as bad.

Good luck with the surgery. I fell down a few months ago right onto to my right shoulder. It put both of them out of whack. I'm finally starting to feel better, after stretching for about 30 minutes a day. It was my first shoulder injury. The bad news is that I haven't been able to get into the gym to workout with weights. I'll hopefully will be able to do that in a month or so.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder.

Lets just hope for the best and a quick return after a long wait. I too live in Canada and understand the waiting game.

I once had a fall and banged my head and ended up with no feeling or muscle control of the left side of my face. I didn't get to see the neurologist for almost 6 months by which time the nerve damage in my neck had almost healed. All good now.

Good luck. Hopefully you'll get rescheduled earlier.

Dave

Guest FarnsBarns

If I am right, you have a national health service in Canada, as we have here in Blighty?

I do hope so, that sounds like an expensive procedure!

Yes it is an expensive procedure but it's covered under Canada's health insurance (OHIP). Never wish anything on anybody, that's forsure. Always have to look at the bigger picture here. More movement, less pain = more guitar time and more fun things with my daughter. Now to help speed up the recovery and help my motivation, I think Tim (R9) should give me his Stinger...comeon Tim it's already had two neck breaks and I'd be doing you a favor, you would never drop it again lmao

C'mon Tim, be a sport. hehe.

You have lots of awesome guitars. Surely you can spare one. It can only help the recovery. At least Swleary will be able to look at the stinger for inspiration while recovering.

:rolleyes:

Dave

I've had a long battle with my left shoulder. I can't play guitar for more than 20 minutes and honestly, that really sucks. My shoulder has been steadily getting worse for the last six years and has really hurt a lot of the things I could do. I finally got a doctor to listen to me :) SO come November, I'll be getting it done and hopefully I'll have more movement in it afterwards. NO guitar or anything for three months after however the big picture is, I should be back playing even more and maybe be able to do more fun things with my daughter. Just thought you guys/girls might want to know lol

you see that's where you been going wrong!, a guitar is played with your hands NOT your shoulder...you silly sausage [biggrin]

you see that's where you been going wrong!, a guitar is played with your hands NOT your shoulder...you silly sausage [biggrin]

Haha ya I know Steve however when the hand swells from the shoulder than it does become a big deal. I use my hands for everything, TG it's my left and not my right...I'd be super frustrated by now lmao

The surgery is not a big deal - the physical therapy afterwards is not a fun time.

No the surgery shouldn't be too bad but being type 1 diabetic , they are a little afraid to put me under. I'll be fine though, always hope for the best :) I heard the therapy is tough though but I'm kinda used to it.

C'mon Tim, be a sport. hehe.

You have lots of awesome guitars. Surely you can spare one. It can only help the recovery. At least Swleary will be able to look at the stinger for inspiration while recovering.

:rolleyes:

Dave

I totally agree with that motivation lol...

Archived