Gibson Brands Forums

which way do you bend?

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

I was jamming with a friend the other day and he pointed out that sometimes I bend downwards. I wasn't aware but it seems that if my next note is on a string above my bend, I bend downwards (I.e if I'm bending on the G string but going to the B string next I Ben downwards. This makes sense but I didn't know I was doing it.

This post is fraught with innuendo!

I don't bend notes because I think it sounds stupid. [unsure][biggrin]

Kidding. I bend either way, but I usually do what you do, Farns--I bend in the direction of the next note I plan on playing, or I play in the direction of the bend I just did. It depends on the situation, but I guess I usually bend up, towards the bass strings.

Guest FarnsBarns

or I play in the direction of the bend I just did. It depends on the situation

Nail on the head. I said to my friend at the time that the weird thing was that most of time, when I do that bend, I don't know where I'm going but you just made me realise that the bend was the reason I went where I did.

Now the whole thread is precariously teetering on the edge of the cliff of innuendo. God, I'm childish.

Do most guitarists bend both ways?

Generally, the strings E, a, d I bend down, and g, b, e I bend up. :D An old book I learned from many many years ago stated that this was the "proper" technique. It makes good sense. Really though, as long as you are comfortable and hitting all the right notes, what difference does it make?

Guest FarnsBarns

Is that spam...? [blink]

I wondered. It seems to be the Sig, It's in every post he/she has done, all the posts seem pointless, I'll report it in case.

Interesting thread, let me throw a wrench into the works. One of the fascinations I had in a previous life as a blues guitarist was trying to figure out how my "idols" got the sounds they did, and why all of a sudden in 1981 SRV was hot ****. As I was working in Texas and listening to SRV's first album (Texas Flood) I could pick out on each song who he was trying to emulate. The predominant guitarist was (of course) Albert King.

Albert King played left-handed and upside down, everything he played was backwards and upside down (same as Otis Rush). I played in a band IN THE MID-70'S with a left-handed upside down guitarist, and for some reason it's a style and sound that us "regular" players will NEVER duplicate (except Stevie).

So for all you players that want to do "backwards" bending and think it's so cool and original, take a listen to Albert King, Otis Rush, and a few others. It really sounds cool, but I can't replicate it from the right-side, BUT STEVIE COULD.

Archived